Spiral Candle Stick...but What Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieseldog

Established Member
Reaction score
hello all....ive been out in my shed this morning trying to make a spiral candle stick out of Yew
drilled one sprial out, was looking good and very happy with mself
started on the next spiral drilled about four holes and then crack it broke #-o

So my Question is...what wood would you recommed to use to make a Spiral candle stick ?

Thanks Dave

Does 'dry wood' sound too harsh?

Anyway, I've seen my share of cracked yew - it even has cracks before drying too often.

I'd try again in whatever hardwood I'd have available - oak, birch, beech, elm, ash to name a few and try a piece that's dry.

I have made 3 pairs and 2 singles. The pairs were done in beech and the singles were in Russian olive and the fist of them won me first place in the Feb challenge..

As a matter of interest, was the yew cracked when you started, because if I had the correct size I wouldn't hesitate in using it. A photo of your disaster may well help?

Hi Dave

Traditionally spiral candlesticks would be in Mahogany, Oak or possibly Walnut. All are tight grained and work/carve well. The problem with Yew, especially as you are drilling it out for a hollow spiral by the sound of it, it is prone to heat cracks, so if you get it too hot by drilling big holes with an electric drill you may have caused cracks which resulted in a broken candlestick.

HTH

Richard

Thanks for the replys i think Mahogany is the way forward for this project
Jonzjob ive posted some pic's up but dont think i'll be using Yew again for making them..i'll try Mahogany or Oak

Thanks Dave

Attachments

• yew cockup 003.JPG
    yew cockup 003.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 4,152
  • yew cockup 003.JPG
    yew cockup 003.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 4,149
Yup, that looks like shakes in there.. What drill bit are you using? I have found that a forstner is the best.

Loz, I first tried Ernies method and decided that it was too much like hard work! So that's why I use the method that I do and it is MUCH easier for me :mrgreen:

Dave, you will find that you get a bit of tearout when you are drilling for the right hand threaded twists :shock: :shock:

im using a 5/8 forstner bit and ive been following Rick Christopherson instructions for making them

Loz im trying to make a Hollow Sprial ..thanks for the links tho, something else for me to try at a later date (hammer)

That should do the job, but once you have drilled the first spiral just take it carefully with the others.

This was my winner by the way and I was reet chuffed with the result

1Candlestick7.jpg

And would you believe it started of a bit like this

Russianolive-1.jpg

Life is like turning? You never know what you got till you try :mrgreen:

Thats one of my loves for Turning....finding whats inside a tatty old piece of wood like that.
i like the way you have made two hollow sprials =D> ...something for me to think about as well :?

Thanks for posting that up John

i'll have another go soon and this time take it a bit slower with the drilling

Cheers Dave

Dieseldog":1y4ttezc said:
im using a 5/8 forstner bit and ive been following Rick Christopherson instructions for making them

Loz im trying to make a Hollow Sprial ..thanks for the links tho, something else for me to try at a later date (hammer)

Hiya,

This technique also works fine for hollow spirals, ask Stuart Mortimer he's not bad at them.

L

He doesn't look too bad does he :mrgreen:

Ernie in the video above also does hollow spirals in his video, but what I would like to know is how does he put the drilled hole right down the middle? I can't do that even with something as short as 1/2 a pen blank! If I have to have a hole down the middle of anything then the hole is drilled before I start turning the blank to round. Then, using the hole as the centre I know that it's in the middle.

Dave, don't forget that when you drill out the spirals the wood left behind is a triangular shape, so the holes drilled need to be a bit smaller than you may think to leave enough behind to make it strong enough to survive. Not a very clear explanation :oops: I almost found out the hard way when I turned a candle stick in French box for the lady who supplied that box wood. As you can see, the twist finished up quite thin :shock: :shock:

Boxtwist-1.jpg

I used the same technique as John does and quite frankly it works well and you don't have the problems associated with a long bore down the centre wandering off.

Using a drill press with the depth gauge drilling the four sets of hole effectively produces the hollow centre without the drama's of a wandering centre hole.

The saying is "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

The spirals produced using the method advocated by John produces a reliable method and the output is very striking

DSC00801.jpg

DSC00786.jpg

That's pretty good for you Colin :mrgreen: :mrgreen: In fact that's bruddie good mate, I do like that!

As you say, it works.. The main this is accurate marking out, iincluding the freehand drawing of the spiral itself, but you can assist that by laying a length of paper between the vertiacl and horizontal markings and use the edge as a guide..

Good ere init 8)

Thanks for posting your pic's up guys ..To me they ALL look stunning even yours John with the thin sprials :lol:

when i was drilling i did use a drill press with the work sat in a piece of wood with a V cut in to it ...i think next time i'll use a smaller Forstner bit see how that goes

Thanks Dave

Back