Spiral blades - Which size?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emt

Established Member
Reaction score
Really happy with my new proxxon DSH, much better than it’s baby brother and 100 times better than the Scheppach!
Im planning to cut 6mm mdf and while I have loads of normal blades I want to give spiral a go but not sure which size would be best? Can anyone advise?
Thanks 😊

My advice would be don't use spiral blades unless you want to go insane, IMHO they are the work of the devil and would put a beginner off the hobby for life!
A spiral blade is just an ordinary blade that has been twisted to cut in all directions, selection of size is practically the same as with normal blades.

FWIW I do mention spiral blades in my video here.

Thanks for the reply, I think I must already be insane 🤪 as I actually find them easier! I’ve got a pack of Olson No 0 (46 tpi) but not entirely sure they’re ok for my 6mm mdf?

It depends on what you are doing but for following delicate lines on intricate designs they are very difficult to control although I have to say there are a few people who do fantastic work with spirals and I take my hat off to them.

I could not agree more that spirals are the work of the devil himself, personally I hate them, I cannot find enjoyment in using them

Forgive me if I am teaching grandma to suck eggs but the one thing I would say is do be careful with the dust from mdf, its rather dangerous to the health, and spirals kick up far more than standard blades

Really happy with my new proxxon DSH, much better than it’s baby brother and 100 times better than the Scheppach!
Im planning to cut 6mm mdf and while I have loads of normal blades I want to give spiral a go but not sure which size would be best? Can anyone advise?
Thanks 😊

Having tried "twistees" myself I also find them "impossible" to use! If you've learnt using conventional blades, where - after some practice - you can turn on the spot (for a sharp corner for example) you'll find you can't with spirals (well I couldn't anyway). That's because - obviously - no matter in which direction you turn the work, the blade is still cutting, there's no "dead area".

OTOH, I remember seeing several vids (from the US) by people who use ONLY spirals and produce some excellent work with them.

But if you want to try them look at the sticky at the top of this section where there's listings of several blade manufacturers and their complete blade ranges, including spirals. Good luck (IMO you'll definitely need it)! :)

They are fine in theory but you are tempted to cut 'sideways' and the blade forms a bow, rounding over the piece. A conventional blade will bow a little but it doesn't matter as you are pushing into the cut so there is no rounding over.

Latest posts

Back