spinning top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I need to make a spinning top that will spin forever or at least long enough to win our club competion, this is a very serious business, any ideas ?

I'm bleedin brutal at them, turn out like a mushroom as a matter of fact I have given some of my efforts as mushrooms and people like them. :roll: :roll:
Glenn Lucas has a challange which he does quite often , spin a top and make another one before it stops :mrgreen:
It can be done ,but not by me.

boysie39":333k6yf2 said:
I'm bleedin brutal at them, turn out like a mushroom as a matter of fact I have given some of my efforts as mushrooms and people like them. :roll: :roll:
Glenn Lucas has a challange which he does quite often , spin a top and make another one before it stops :mrgreen:
It can be done ,but not by me.
Now THAT is something I'd like to see.
One of the things I love about the human race is the truism "if it moves, we'll race it"... and this takes that in a very different direction I like the sound of.

I might have to have a look on YouTube to see if there's a video of that. :)

Make the top dumpy with all the mass as low as possible and as much mass as possible.

The alternative is to cheat. Turn a ring 6" diam. and turn a base for it so it stands upright. On the inside at the top embed a small magnet. Now turn a top and embed another magnet in the top of stem. Stick the top to the inside of the ring with the magnets but put a ball bearing between the two. The top should now spin but it is hanging down not spinning on its point. It should spin for the whole of the meeting and longer.

If the rules says 'the the top that spins longest' then you win.'

On a philosophical point. If a top is a toy that spins on its bottom, is a toy that spins on its top called a bottom?

Bill

if you make the axle of the top about 1/2 an inch across and the body 6 inches across and a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch thick,with a good spin it`ll go on for ages,regards,

Eric.

Back