Spindles?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peggy

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to just buy a new spindle for a universal pen mandrel? I don't need the whole kit, just the spindle. I've looked it up and got completely lost in a sea of websites all selling pen mandrel kits. As you know my old spindle is bent from being stuck on the lathe and it being wrenched off! I was in a wood turning shop today but was told Id have to buy online, that there's no where in the whole of Ireland that sells spindles.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Peggy

How heavy is the 'bent' item to post ?

Should be easy to make a replacement but either the bent spindle or the mating pieces are needed to match the sizes.

Thank you Woody and Steven, what a relief!

Chas, my husband reckons I should be able to get one made, its really just a metal bar, but I think it would be easier to buy one.

Peggy

Yes it is just need to know the diameter accurately for the fit in the chuck fitting and the mandrel diameter so that it matches your bushes. (need to check those dimensions when ordering if not for exact model you have.)

Some mandrels are slightly differing diameter.

Hi

You will be able to purchase a length of silver steel in the required diameter if you decide to go ahead and make a replacement - I expect it will be more accurate than the original :)

Regards Mick

Well, I've ordered one from Timberbits but I think making one is a good idea too I should be able to get a correct sized piece of steel locally.

Thanks so much for all your help everyone.

Peggy

Hi Peggy you can get them in the UK is your mandrel a Rotur / planet one or an Axminster one as a dealer I dont get asked for them very often but I do keep one or 2 on the shelf. Your main problem is one of tolerance for instance the Axminster mandrels are a couple of thou's small than Rotur ones so are not interchangeable and so bushing sets will not fit etc

Hi Russell, yes my pen mandrel is a Rotur. Do you have any spare spindles to suit? I would order one. I am still waiting for the one I ordered to arrive from Timerbits.

Back