Spindle sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Shed Projects

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking at a spindle sander and have my eye on the Triton TSPS450. There are a few other’s readily available from Draper and Von Haus which are approximately 10% cheaper and then the higher spec ones from Triton and Sheppach with the option of a belt sander and tilting bed.

Does anyone have any experience? Are they an amazing bit of kit or are there loads sat in workshops never used gathering dust? Cheaper Draper is ok or best to hold out for higher spec?

I am looking to improve my band saw boxes and would welcome any opinions.

When you look at these bobbin sanders closely you find they are all much the same except color and badge, been there and done the homework but brought a SIP disk / belt sander instead because I had more use for one and not enough space. Search these forums and you will find the threads, lots of good info. My final decision was that if the time arose that I needed one then the choice would be the Triton bobbin only sander or the Axminster Axminster Craft AC140OSS Bobbin Sander which is essentially the same as the Record Record Power Bench Top Bobbin Sander but cheaper with a square not round table. The choice is what you want to do with it, great for internal curves but not so good on the straight.

I have an older model Sheppach OSM100 that i thought i needed because i saw someone using one on Utube o_O and dreamed up all sorts of fanciful ideas of what i could do if i had one :unsure::unsure::unsure:. After convincing myself that i needed one ;);) all i had to do was convince the holder of the purse strings that i needed one:eek:,the right moment came up and i took a chance whilst still in the "Good Books" after enduring almost 6 hours of being used as as a pack mule while she went shopping for my Daughters wedding bits n bobs :cry:. Now i don't do the shopping thing very often and i used that in my case that i duly presented for consideration:LOL:.
Anyway to cut a long story short:sleep: :D i got one and apart from plugging it in to check it worked , it sat unused for a few years just sort of shuffled around the shop when the damned thing got in the way. Recently i needed just such a machine as i had so prudently purchased with 3 sets of drum sleeves all those year's go:whistle::whistle::whistle:, came in bloody handy and made doing the job so much easier. So in essence yes get one because you know you want one and won't sleep soundly until you get yer grubby mitts on a that shiny new toy (y)(y)(y)

Does anyone have any experience? Are they an amazing bit of kit or are there loads sat in workshops never used gathering dust? Cheaper Draper is ok or best to hold out for higher spec?
Higher spec is always the better option.
Im using the schep...shec....shepa... you know :LOL: and its been a godsend for many a job.
Only real downside is its set at 90deg. I think something like the Jet or RP version would be more versatile, not that I've needed it, but I recognize its good as an option.
Plus, mine and the Triton and others of that generic model arent trade rated so wont last heavy prolonged use but allowing the grit to do its cutting without too great of a pressure it will last a good while.

The dual version of spindle and belt would be a best model to go for. In that it has both types and also an angle adjustable table. It'sd about 40 quid more but gives that angle adjustment and second function. Should be plenty of YT vids showing it in action, and the ones I've seen of that certainly have happy operators being glad they bought it.

Couldn’t imagine that I would ever need one until my son persuaded me after he had used one at college, I bought the jet square table one about seven years ago and I must say when you need one it’s brilliant, it’s surprising how much umph you can use against a moving up and down spindle. See if I can find a pic of a big beefy chunk of wood rounded out on it. Ian

Bit of an old barn repurposed as part of a mantle piece.
55D3D021-74DF-4868-B0C2-920DA431E383.jpeg

I've got the Triton one, bobbin-only. It's got enough juice for what I do, is light and chuckable and isn't expensive. So I don't have it fixed in place, just pull out and temp clamp it to a bench to use it.
Less good on mine was the table was far from flat; I took it apart and adjusted it with an oak drift and a BFH... much better now.

As well as edge sanding I have holes in the table to mount pivoting fences for certain jobs. Like doing laminations (as below, at right), and for the curved transition at the headstock on this type of neck (the left three, where the head thins down). Have made accurate 2mm lamination strips with it.

Very pleased with it now at least after the table assault & battery session, considering it gets used a fair bit and it's low cost, and easily tucked away/pulled out.

29-necks.jpg

I got the scheppach one last year and as far as I can see its the same machine as the triton. I would have liked the belt/bobbin sander but nobody in Australia sells them for some unknown reason. I was using drums on my drillpress before but having the oscillating action is a big improvement.
The belt/bobbin model would be like 2 machines in one. I have had it keep my old belt/disc sander in a shed thats already tight for space.
Regards
John

I have a Triton and have fitted a removable fence .This allows for sanding straight stock. It's fitted with hook style roofing bolts,the type to fit sheets to metal purlings .Can be used to put curves to the end of stock to a set radius.

I have the Triton, bought it from FFX Tools, cheaper than the other versions, and now wonder how I managed before, so much better than drums in chucks. Dust extraction is excellent. I intend to build a fence for straight stock. The only niggle I have is the infills are below the table top by a couple of mm., which I intend to tackle next.

I have the Triton TSPST 450 and love it. Since getting it all my other sanders apart from my little Parkside ROS have basically sat in their drawers. Drums are a bit dear but that is the only real downside.

Back