Spindle rebate block query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ham

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone advise me please on the subject of a rebate block for my Kity spindle moulder? I want to reduce the tearout that I'm experiencing when using a standard euroblock by moving over to a dedicated rebate block with inbuilt scribes. Wealdon have two versions: one has blades mounted as per a normal bock whilst their other offering has the blades mounted so as to produce a shearing cut. Should I spend the extra on the shearing version and if I do will I notice the difference? Main material to be cut is oak, beech and pine.
Cheers, David

Hi Ham

I suppose it depends whether you want up to shear or down shear, or can your machine run in reverse :?:

I have a shear block and the cut is slightly better, and I can reverse run, but it can cause tearout at the edges sometimes if the block is cutting in up shear mode on certain rebates for example. It's horses for courses really, I use both the standard and shear blocks.

The finish on the dedicated rebate blocks with the TCT blades and spur cutters are better than the one you mentioned imho. Does the ones your looking at have the tct spur cutters as well as the tct main cutters.

imho I would have a good look round at other suppliers as well, in my experience Wealdons aren't the most competitive blocks around.

As an upside to shear blocks they are kinder to the mechanics etc of the moulder.

hope this helps

I'm in agreement with Felderman, a shear cut TCT-RT block with spurs will give a much better finish, especially if you go to a higher rotation speed at the same feed speed (more cuts per inch). Similarly going to a 4-cutter block (such as that made by Whitehill) over a 2-cutter one will yield improved results.

At the end of the day, though there are some pieces of timber which just won't machine all that well, no matter what you do

Scrit

Felderman & Scrit,

Thanks for your advice. The cutterblock I had contemplated buying from Wealden has two spurs and two blades see http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Shear_rebate_block_604.html
My moulder will only run at a fixed speed but if I cut the rebate with the block set to cut from its top edge then the shear is downwards and away from the scribed edge. Is that a correct assumption?
Cheers, David

Ham, have you looked at wealdens clearance items, couple of blocks with scribers going cheap there.

Jason

Jason, Thanks for the alert - unfortunately the unsold ones appear to be MEC rated, whereas I need MAN, Cheers,David

Ham":2dghetw3 said:
Felderman & Scrit,

Thanks for your advice. The cutterblock I had contemplated buying from Wealden has two spurs and two blades see http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Shear_rebate_block_604.html
My moulder will only run at a fixed speed but if I cut the rebate with the block set to cut from its top edge then the shear is downwards and away from the scribed edge. Is that a correct assumption?
Cheers, David
Hi David,
Looking at the block in the link you provided, your assumption is correct, I take it the machine spins anti clock wise. Incidentially how fast does it spin ?.

Hi John & Jacob,

The machine spins anti-clockwise at 6500rpm. It is only a lightweight machine without power feed, so I shouldn't really expect too much of it.
Cheers, David

Ham":15ic9796 said:
Felderman & Scrit,

Cheers, David

I have a very similar block to the one you link to that I use a lot at work with a large variety of timbers. No problems, great results.

Mr_Grimsdale":39itp75a said:
Haven't used a "shear" cutting block but have not had a prob with a straight one. Not sure if I see the point of a "shear" cut.
Shear cut blocks leave a smoother surface with the ripples less noticeab le and require slightly less power (although in this case its really acedemic). The also tend to transmit slightly less vibration into the material - another reason they produce a better finish.

Scrit

Back