Spindle moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
I seriously need a new spindle moulder as one of the wheels holding the belt fell off mine today as i was using it making me flatuate vigerously :shock: Ive fixed the problem but this pre war machine is just to risky for me . Would be good to know what the forum members use and what the good and bad points are .

Id prefer new and im not in major production . just need it to run off a few old skirtings and make a few doors and windows .

MiniMax T40N or better still a T50N. I know one old guy who has a T50i (the tilting one) bought about 5 or 6 years back who reckons it's not bad (in a workshop which incidentally includes a Centauro hydrocheck lathe, Robinson dim. saw, etc). Personally, I think the T40 is a bit lightweight at 200kg, however Scott & Sargent :evil: are currently listing the T50 at £2799 PLUS VAT - the non-tilt version is about the £700 cheaper. Decent enough cast iron table, enough power. The only alternatives I can think of are the Sedgwick SM3 or SM4 (available from everywhere). If they are anything like the tenoners or p/ts from Sedgwick they'll last forever. BTW, Scott & Sargent do have a Taiwanese (?) import the iTech SM55i(name changed to protect the innocent?) - anyone seen it yet?

If you were in the market for secondhand but a bit newer, I can recommend the Casadei F115 (if you're ever lucky enough to see one) and SCM T130NPS (if you are prepared to throw away some of the crappy Italian electrics and put in decent British or German stuff as on the one in my shop) as good, heavy, simple to use machines. Not keen on the later Dominions (a bit tinny - pity when you look at the earlier Dommies) or lighter Wadkins (BERs, BENs, BELs, etc - none of them a patch on the beautiful BEM). I'd also forget about Wadkin EQs or the Robinson/Wilson/Cooksley equivalents, they are all a bit long in the tooth (all pre-WWII designs). Not saying I'm partisan or anything...

Scrit

Now waiting for flak to come his way......

Scrit , i notice you didnt mention record or metabo and the like . Any reason why ?

Because I am in production and I tried to get by with lighter machines in the past (like the small Scheppach). Ultimately whilst they may do the job they all seem to have flimsy, second rate fences which are a pain to adjust and none of them have enough power. I reckon that a good secondhand cast-iron machine will run rings around a new lightweight job simply because it is heavier and more powerful - the downside is that it may require a bit of TLC to sort out (most notably electrics and fences, although you'll occassionally come across a machine with cream crackered bearings, so avoid ANYTHING that's ever been in a pine furniture shop :cry:). As I said, I seriously waiting for someone to snipe at me :twisted: ...

Scrit

well my spindle is a solid cast machine in need of some tlc and a fence it has the slot for french cutters and lots of them to go with . Id rather keep my fingers and use a new machine for my non production work than risk never playing a guitar again .

Scrit":imkkntrj said:
although you'll occassionally come across a machine with cream crackered bearings, so avoid ANYTHING that's ever been in a pine furniture shop :cry:). Scrit

<chortle!>

Adam

Styzack & sons of London , Ive asked record and metabo if i can buy one of their fence assemblies to make it safe but they are not interested . Shame really. Seems they would rather sell a whole machine than make an old one safe :shock:

Have you thought about Felder? They do sell their fences separately

Scrit

Hi Scrit,

This isn't a snipe (I hope), merely a question. You are speaking of machines with professional users in mind, hence I assume your dismissal of Metabo (EB)? For an amateur with only low usage would you still not recommend the Metabo? I'm about to buy one , having decided that it will fit the bill for my anticipated usage and available space - should I back away?

Cheers, David

Hello Ham - I have no knowledge of the machine that you are looking at, but I would say that Metabo has been re-badging lately. The Maxi 26 from Record is now in Metabo colours, and all they have changed is the wheel set, so no improvement in setup or acuracy. I think they have also added another couple of motors to the machine and given it another name. Just a cautionary tale to look deeply into what it is they are selling.

Hi Ham,

Metabo make some nice power tools, but their planer thickneser machine which was a clone of a EB model & others was pants.

Record used to make some good quality tools & machines until Irwin came along and IMHO assett stripped them. Record had a managment buyout from Irwin and started with machines again, but importing them from China and again IMHO ther'e not that good (search for Record on here, plenty of reading). Metabo want to increase their share of the machine market and appear to have come to some kind of agreement with Record on some of their old imported models (Record are rolling out new/updated ones).

So the point I'm trying to make here is if your interested in these machines don't be suprised if they look the same machine in different colours & badges. It,s best to go & see them in the flesh IMHO before parting with your cash.

Hope this helps

seems they all want to sell the tools and dont give a toss about quality or what finish we get on our projects :x

Hi All,

It is Metabo Electra Beckham TF100 I was refering to. My existing EB planer is German and well manufactured.

Cheers, david

Felderman do you have a link to that s/hand machine ? :shock:

Freetochat":18q2mqtx said:
Hello Ham - I have no knowledge of the machine that you are looking at, but I would say that Metabo has been re-badging lately. The Maxi 26 from Record is now in Metabo colours, and all they have changed is the wheel set, so no improvement in setup or acuracy. I think they have also added another couple of motors to the machine and given it another name. Just a cautionary tale to look deeply into what it is they are selling.

Sorry, but this is absolute rubbish. The Maxi 26 is a machine made by Lurem (and has always been made by them). Lurem are a French company who have been owned by Metabo for the last 5 or so years. The only reason Record sold the Maxi (rather than Metabo) was because they had an import licence secured over 5 years which they took out with Lurem 6 months before they (Lurem) were taken over by Metabo.

If you took the time to notice Metabo have actually just released a full range of Lurem machines. The difference is Metabo & Lurem are actual manufacturers, Record on the other hand entirely source & re badge product, hence the endless copies of other peoples machines.

Back