Spindle Moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Looking for opinions on the Jet jws-34.
Any links to reviews of this machine would be appreciated or any alternatives to this machine, that you feel might be a better purchase

Simuk

Hi Simuk

This was deep inside the archives and was a discussion I was having with Adam.

"Whilst I was ordering some bit and pieces today I had a look at the Jet moulder.

I asked the manager for some pointers and he said the Jet was a four speed machine, others only had three, with the fourth speed for grinding. It also had the cast top. The biggest plus point was that, as standard, it could also use all of your existing 1/2" and 8mm router cutters. He was very impressed with the Jet and thought it a much better product than the S........

He then told me that he had stopped selling the S........ moulder since he had brought the Jet one in. He also said that they were selling six Jet moulders for every S........ that he used to sell.

I don't know whether this was sales talk but I did preface the conversation by saying I was not interested in buying one, I was just after his view to pass onto you. He was a big fan of S........ saws etc."

Cheers
Neil

I've been and checked out the Jet version and I'd highly rate it. As and when, I'll buy it. You will however need to give some serious thought to the weight of it, in terms of where you locate it, as well as manouvering it into position.

Adam

thought i'd ask as well
i had the s******** hf 3000 but personal opinion i didnt like it plus the extras ie sliding table added to far too much for what is basically a home workshop machine and the space it took up with the extras added was OTT so i sold it

i now fancied the jet but the other equipement i've had from them is way under par for the money. eg it took 2 attempts for a 9/6 belt sander to get one that ran right then the table at the belt sander station wont stay square no matter how much i tighten it.

Jet moulder has caught my eye though as it has a small foot print and would fit in a corner nicely, although i cannot understand why axminster advertise the sliding table for it at £199 and jet at £299 is anyone aware of the difference

watch this space if i get one and dont like it there will be a bargain going a begging

Ian

Ian Dalziel":3tuv494y said:
although i cannot understand why axminster advertise the sliding table for it at £199 and jet at £299 is anyone aware of the difference
Ian

I wondered this too, and decided their wasn't any difference, you get a similar differential the other way on the power feed.

By the way, I looked at it at Homewood, and Dave the manager was keen to point out the "sliding table" isn't really anything much more substantial than the normal mitre gauge, and if you were to add some sacrificial wood to the mitre guide it's supplied with it'd be just as good as the sliding table. He recommended spending the extra on the power feed if you need it, as this makes it a lot easier/safer.

Having had a good look at it, I'd be tempted to say his advice is good, and perhaps hold back on the sliding table until after you have purchased and set it up. You may well be happy with it "as is".

Adam

I'd read that the 8000 rpm top speed of this machine is far too slow for router cutters with perhaps the exception of horizontal panel raising bits, and that the resulting finish will be rubbish or mediocre at best. I wonder also if the slow speed is too fast as a drum sander given that it doesn't oscillate either and will burn easily.

It sounds like it's being talked up a bit.

ike":2ccxddtc said:
I'd read that the 8000 rpm top speed of this machine is far too slow for router cutters with perhaps the exception of horizontal panel raising bits, and that the resulting finish will be rubbish or mediocre at best. I wonder also if the slow speed is too fast as a drum sander given that it doesn't oscillate either and will burn easily.

It sounds like it's being talked up a bit.

It's fairly clear in the literature that you could only consider if for use with large diameter bits, to be honest, I don't really think this additional functionality is all that useful. The whole point of it is to raise panels fast, - if you then use router bits it's rather defeated the point of having it!

Adam

Neil wrote,

The biggest plus point was that, as standard, it could also use all of your existing 1/2" and 8mm router cutters.

Adam wrote,

The whole point of it is to raise panels fast, - if you then use router bits it's rather defeated the point of having it!

So, its a big plus point not worth having? - sorry i'm all confused now! :?

Ike

For me, I don't have a large collection of router bits, so it doesn't make a hapennys worth of difference whether it takes a router bit or not, coupled with the fact that it recommends only using large diameter bits, which is exactly the type of bit I am looking to avoid buying, by investing in a spindle moulder.

It's a little underpowered from memory, in motor size, but I'd not be really pushing it really hard anyway.

In Neils case, as a Normite, it may make more of a difference, as he probably has a lot more investment in his router bit collection.

Adam

hi Adam,

I'm not sure whether it is actually underpowered.....
When I looked at the Jet along with Scheppach and WMaster, the latter give motor input ratings, but Jet give output only.
This is something I spoke about with Nick Brown at Jet, who told me that because it's a constant 100% load rating, Jet like to put this forward.
I know Nick has posted on this forum a few times so hopefully he should be able to clarify motor ratings and what the Jet input is by comparison to it's rivals.
Over to you Nick!!!

cheers,
Andy

PS. FYI Jet came out best on test.....

I know this question might sound silly! But what are the smaller spindle moulders primary purpose? I mean you could spend £1.000 on a router system if you bought something like the Jessem kit and a £300,00 1/2" router plus accessories. And as far as I can see good quality 1/2" router bits are more expensise than a set of cutters and limiters for the cutter block. There is also a far wider range of tooling for moulders than there are router bit's. The size of mouldings and profiles capable on a moulder are much larger than a routers capabilities.

What I am getting at is; if one wanted to invest heavily in a router set-up, surely the better option would be a smaller spindle moulder like the Jet jws-34?

This is the predicament I am finding myself in at the moment, but not being very experienced I do not know the pro's and con's or have the answers.

Spud":1xq67gl0 said:
I know this question might sound silly! But what are the smaller spindle moulders primary purpose? I mean you could spend £1.000 on a router system if you bought something like the Jessem kit and a £300,00 1/2" router plus accessories. And as far as I can see good quality 1/2" router bits are more expensise than a set of cutters and limiters for the cutter block. There is also a far wider range of tooling for moulders than there are router bit's. The size of mouldings and profiles capable on a moulder are much larger than a routers capabilities.

What I am getting at is; if one wanted to invest heavily in a router set-up, surely the better option would be a smaller spindle moulder like the Jet jws-34?

This is the predicament I am finding myself in at the moment, but not being very experienced I do not know the pro's and con's or have the answers.

Remember a router takes up less space, (normally) as you can make a small table (OK, most people make a floor standing cabinet), and tuck it under a bench out the way. You can also take the router out and use it freehand, or for kitchen tops etc. So you often need a router regardless of having a spindle moulder. And, you can't ever cut a sliding dovetail on a spindle moulder, compared to a router where you can push a workpiece right over the spinning blade, with a spindle moulder you are always working at the edge of the cutters. Ideally you need both :lol:

Adam

Spud,

I wish there's an easy answer. I too agonised for ages when first equipping my workshop - should i have a router system or a spindle moulder. I eventually plumped for a router table. I've since learned both have their plus and minus points. If you boil it down to the most basic difference,

Router system:- very versatile, constrained profile size, expensive cutters (some - not all), cheaper (I think you can put together a v.good accurate system for a LOT less than £1000). IMO, I think the Jessem system is completely OTT for most work). Light duty (in the grand scheme of things).

Spindle moulder:- versatile but more versatile if tilting spindle, unlimited profiles (although custom cutter sets with chip limiters can be just as expensive as router bits), expensive machine (I think a sliding table is a must have - I don't understand why it's always an "accessory"). Rugged - usually built for semi-continuous operation.

One or the other or both - it also depends on what and how much you expect to be making.

Ike

Welcome SIM,
this is an oold topic [for those who remember our first chat group :oops: ]
This tool problem is really answered by the type of woodwork you intend doing.
If you are on the road and working on site = router plus ancillery kit is the way to go.
Yet, if your in a workshop all the time making doors/windows/cabinets and such like then = spindle moulder if the wallet is big and heavy enough a TILTING one too
But if your doing both types of work then your in trouble = you need both -but to what level does one spend money on ? I've got 5 or is it 6 tailed routers plus loads of bits 8mm 1/2" and 12mm. PLus a Robland SM with a basic block and cutters.
I do all types of joinery and fine cabinetmaking ie small boxes up to very large room sized boxes :wink:
So, this is a never ending problem, so first think about YOUR WOODWORKING preferences.
all the best HS

busy packing for FL. :D

Houtslager, How important do you think it is to have a tilting spindle?

The little Jet that everyone is keen on, does not have one! The Elektra Beckum TF904 does though, but is considerably more expensive (nearly £500.00).

Do you think a tilting spindle is worthy of that differential in price?

Spud

Doesn't your last question depend on the type of work you intend to undertake?

Having said that, if you can afford the extra £500, you always have the facility and will no doubt find it useful at some, future time. You might even devise particular working practices because you have the facility.

Cheers

Tony

Who has never used a spindle moulder and speaks with ignorance of their use

Spud,

I think the extra versality brought by a tilting spindle makes it worthy of serious consideration, as also is a sliding table.

Ike

Back