Spindle moulder tilting head

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
Hammer specifically advertise their tilting spindle moulder heads as tilting backwards which implies it is better or safer than forwards. Axminster look like they go backwards whereas Kity 1649 look like they tilt forward.

Can someone confirm for me and comment on the safety aspect?

Tilting backwards is the normal which means that the workpiece will generally be passing over the cutters (if tilted). If the shaft tilted forwards the operator would be more exposed to the rotating block so more attention to guarding required.
I've just done a search on Kity SM's but can't find any reference, however the modern Schepach, who bought up Kity when they collapsed, has a -5 to +45deg tilting capability.
The use of an adjustable angle cutter block also increases the range of possible angles.
My Felder also runs in the reverse direction which is occasionally useful.
Brian

It seems there are some tilt forward SM's available. I've just found this one from Scott+Sargeant. Its spec gives a tilt of +30 to -10degs and from their photo it looks as though the 30degs is in the forward direction.
Felder advocate backward tilting for these reasons

• Safety, as there is no pinch point
    felder.png
  • Suitable for any workpiece size
  • Problem-free power feeder application
  • Impeccable machined surface
  • Optimal chip removal
Brian

the picture above is a bit deceptive because the position of the fence is not how mine operates of course the back of the block sticks up but it is still in the hood. I can 30 degree 1/2 inch beading out no probs as the gap in the power feeder wheels coincides with the block.
I'm not an expert by any means and backward tilt may be superior but I reckon you need a large machine to physically have the room to tilt forward.
my t40n has a box sticking out the back to accommodate the tilted motor and pulleys.

wow where do I start. The only machine I bought new was a German Hoffmann TFS1200 tilt spindle molder. I think Hoffmann makes the finest shapers in the world. Slightly better than Martin and that says something. I sold the Hoffmann not because I didn’t like it but because of domestic bimbo problems! Agggggh!!!! I hate that bimbo!

now, the Hoffman had a forward tilt. Yes, a forward tilt can get you into trouble. But the tilt feature was not that useful. It did make tramming the spindle harder with all its extra hardware. In all the time I used the Hoffmann, I never used the tilt feature.

I found the tilting two knife cutter head more useful for bevel style cuts. Easier fence set up and no binding issues and easier throat plate setups.

The tilt feature can buy you some tooling mileage as long as your using a straight profile. If you have a profile, then you either need a fixture setup or you take a parallax shift in your profile.

while there are cases in which the tilt of a profile is desired it is usually a strange up. Like trying to put an ogee profile on a section with an angle. Off ball stuff.

if you need to cut a v groove in a piece, you can use a rebate head like garniga or lietz and tilt the head. Otherwise you need a special cutter like a v groove router bit on steroids.

I just found that it’s easier to set up a non tilt shaper for most jobs and not deal with the tilt.

on many shapers like my Hoffmann and the Martin, the head tilts front or back, whatever. The heavy duty sliding table is mounted to the left. So if you using the sliding table, you have no option of using the tilt anyway.

to get around this, you need the smaller removable sliding table which mounts in front.

don’t get me wrong I think some of the tilting shapers are way cool. I just didn’t find them as useful as I thought.

I have a Moretens spindle which tilts forward and backwards as well as going in reverse. I don't think I've ever used it for mouldings tilted forward but I often tilt it backwards. In the days of Whitehill blocks, you could rotate your cutters in the block to get different profiles. Now, with pinned blocks you can't do that, so a tilting spindle is the answer. The Moretens will go all the way round so it can act like an overhead router (never tried that) But one very useful thing is that you can do grooves with the block at right angles to the bed. This means that you can put back panel grooves in large cabinet sides using the power feed. Previously I had to do that with a router which is never fun!

Back