Spindle moulder cutting depth

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
This might sound like a strange question, but I am looking through the Whitehill 2011 catalogue. Ok, I know it's a Friday night, but I can either read that or watch Coronation St!

I am looking at the 125mm * 100mm cutter head and associated cutters and am asking myself "can you you cut the profile in one pass, and if so what size moulder would you need to do that?"

I also assume that when cutting profiles like that you would require a power feed.

Only asking as I am thinking of getting a spindle moulder. I haven't used one since I destroyed my thumb knuckle and nearly lost my thumb on one 20 years ago :cry:

most profiles can be done in one pass. unless its alot to remove then its best to take it in two if possible. as to power feed not required unless the block is for use with one.
with the anti kickback design blocks they feed well by hand . if you are likely to run large quantities of the same mould a power feed would be worth it. but then again all machines can bit!!!!!!

Profiles can be done in one pass - only if the machine is powerful enough.
I think a power feed is more or less essential - only to be done without if you really can't afford it.
Makes everything so much safer, easier and more precise. Little stuff as well as big, whatever the block

You can run pretty big profiles in one pass but it is often better to take more passes. With s power feed this is safer and faster. I also think a power feed is pretty much essential.

The thought of hand feeding a piece of timber into a 100mm deep cutter block would make me a little nervous

flanajb":1a41a92o said:
The thought of hand feeding a piece of timber into a 100mm deep cutter block would make me a little nervous
:shock: And so it should!
Can be done, with the requisite hold-ins, hold-downs, push-sticks etc, but a power-feed is so much easier and safer.

Much as said above, another great advantage of a powerfeeder is you get a much better quality of finish as long as you set the right cutter speed to the correct feeder speed.

FWIW I've run that block you describe on a 5hp moulder cutting kiln dried Oak in one pass.

Thanks for your comments. I will make sure that when I get around to buying the spindle I also get a power feed.

ProShop":s6g25c58 said:
flanajb":s6g25c58 said:
Thanks for your comments. I will make sure that when I get around to buying the spindle I also get a power feed.

Make sure it's a 4 speed & reverse minimum
I understand why you would have multiple feed speeds, but why do you have a reverse ?

flanajb":dpt62992 said:
ProShop":dpt62992 said:
flanajb":dpt62992 said:

Make sure it's a 4 speed & reverse minimum
I understand why you would have multiple feed speeds, but why do you have a reverse ?

All the power feeds I've ever seen have multiple speeds with both directions for all speeds, as technically there is neither a forwards or reverse because they can be spun round.

doctor Bob":5edcwt1r said:
All the power feeds I've ever seen have multiple speeds with both directions for all speeds, as technically there is neither a forwards or reverse because they can be spun round.
Understood

As Bob mentions, and also some spindle moulders have a reverse (very useful).

FWIW some power feeders are only 2 speed + reverse.

Latest posts

Back