Spindle gouge scooping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been watching several videos on making small boxes, and when they need to scoop out the inside of the box, they use the spindle gouge to scoop from the center out to the rim. However, its always on end grain. All my blanks are side grain. Can I still use the same method?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

transatlantic":3drth8da said:
I've been watching several videos on making small boxes, and when they need to scoop out the inside of the box, they use the spindle gouge to scoop from the center out to the rim. However, its always on end grain. All my blanks are side grain. Can I still use the same method?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

You should be able to but ideally from the outside inwards the same as turning the inside of a bowl. Side grain boxes are not really the best as you will get much more movement

They may be entering the wood from the end but as they scoop they are cutting side grain, which is the way the wood likes to be cut.

Dalboy":imx9uqg2 said:
Side grain boxes are not really the best as you will get much more movement

Hadn't thought about that :(

Basically I have a load of 3" deep by 4" diameter side grain blanks that I am not sure what to do with (other than little bowls).

Robbo3":imx9uqg2 said:
They may be entering the wood from the end but as they scoop they are cutting side grain, which is the way the wood likes to be cut.

Aren't you only cutting with the grain half the time though? With a side grain blank, I find that the end grain parts tear out horribly, while the long grain parts cut lovely.

transatlantic":1weuja46 said:
Hadn't thought about that :(

Basically I have a load of 3" deep by 4" diameter side grain blanks that I am not sure what to do with (other than little bowls).

I have blanks like that and just keep them in the wood store until I find an ideal project. Small bowl are good, remember that once you put a chucking point on them you will lose some of the depth anyway
As for tear out sharp tools which I am sure you have read many times is a must as well as tool presentation to the wood the deeper the bowl sides the greater the angle is needed on the tool that is why I have 5 bowl gouges for different applications not just profile and angle some for extra deep bowls due to overhang.

transatlantic":15hvun0o said:
Keep small diameter blanks for bowl or box feet, lids etc.
Used with contrasting wood bodies if matching wood species not available.
DSCN5101.JPG

DSCN6129.JPG

DSCN5618.JPG

DSCN5051.JPG

Back