Spindle Block advice please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munkypuzel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Have just aquired a very old Tenoner, but its quite small and looks very useful. My question is what is the current opinion on the type of blocks that are fitted to it, should I clean them up and keep them, or should i look at updating them?

spindleblock.jpg

There are two cutters on each block, they are held in with a bolt that goes straight through the cutter.

Many thanks
Mark

I assume 'the danger' is of the shape of the block, as in it could inflict more damage in the case of an accident? Or is the method of retaining the cutters also deemed dangerous these days?

I understand to a degree if the shape is an issue, but on the tennoner they blocks are much more difficult to come into contact with than a spindle moulder.

If the way the cutters are held in is not that safe, I would not take any risks as I dont want to be subject to flying metal!

Square blocks were outlawed a while back as they have a much increased risk of catching the timber causing kick back, new blocks look like big spindle cutters and are much safer, yours look somewhere in the middle.

plus the fact there are big recesses(sp) in the block and no limiting device means that if you happen to come into contact with the cutter, it is quite likely to drag you in as opposed to cutting and hitting you away....

looks like a multico? can get a block with built in scribing cutters section and replaceable knives, so you never have to remove the cutterblock(except for cleaning)

the knives as they are there shouldnt come out as it is a very positive fixing.....

Hi and thanks, yes its a multico, have now had a look at the new blocks that take scribing cutters, they are quite pricey at £400+ for the pair (whitehill) unless anybody knows of a cheaper type?

Thanks all for your info and advice,

How much was the machine and is it in good nick? they fetch good money (or seem to) so if the cost of the machine and new cutter heads is less than its worth surely it would be economical to buy them/safer and easier too.

although obviously its useable like that, with a sharpen, as that is how it has been used for its whole life.

how much are you going to use it?

I picked it up in a job lot the ownere was going to scrap it (he had no understanding of ww machinery) so it does not really owe me anything. I doubt I will keep it, I have ordered new bearings for the spindles as they were a little grumbly and are very easy to change.

General condition is excellent for the age (any ideas how old?) and it will probably end up being auctioned, but I only like to sell machinery that is well serviced and ready to go. I get quite a bit of pleasure out of fixing and polishing them up!

In this case, I may leave the blocks, set it up, have a play and leave it to the new owners to decide. Keeping it would be nice but space dictates...

Thanks
Mark

Back