Spindle adaptor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey Youngs

Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve just bought a union graduate lathe and I’m trying to find a spindle adaptor to fit my Axminster chuck which has a M33 x 3.5mm (ref t38) thread but my lathe is 1 1/2” 6tpi. Does anybody know where I can buy one?

Is the Aminster chuck direct threaded, or does it have an ISO back plate. The back plate would be easier as Axminster used to do a 1.5 x 6tpi right & left handed screwthread. I think that The Toolpost still do one for the Versachuck that is an ISO so fits the Aminster. If it is direct threaded then I dont know, but would be inclined to buy another chuck body with correct thread.
Andy

Thanks Andy for getting back, to be honest I don’t know but it’s the evolution chuck. I will have a look on toolpost but don’t really want to spend another £200 so if not I will get one machined up.
Thanks
Mikey

The only way you are going to fit the Evolution onto 1-1/2" spindle is with an extension adaptor but I suspect it would have to be a custom made item.

Not a very desirable option as it's going to project the chuck 55 mm or so out from the headstock

As Chas said, given there only a handful of mm difference an inset solution won’t work so you’re looking at a extension.

In your position, i think I’d be minded to sell the chuck and buy another with correct thread. The ax’y stuff holds its value so me even work out cheaper than commissioning a custom thread converter.

Simon

If you commission one to be made be sure to specify your expected run out tolerance. Most machine shops will ask your + or - specification on sizes but run out sometimes doesn't get mention. Take your chuck with you and have them do the run out check with your chuck on the adaptor in their shop. May cost a bit more, due to tight tolerance, but worth effort, as any runout in he adaptor amplifies when the work is extended from the lathe headstock.
I use my spindle adaptors often to use chucks from other lathes on my lathe, and in some cases to use my chucks on others lathes.
Good luck and safe turning.

Thanks everyone, l will find out how much a LH and a RH adaptor will cost if that doesn’t work I’ve seen that Robert Sorby RSPCMH patriot chuck does LH and RH threads in one, are they any good?

They are, but if you're thinking seriously of a new one, look at
https://www.toolpost.co.uk/woodturning/ ... components
there's a dual threaded back plate, and you're then free to use jaws from wherever you like. Just buy a set of carriers for £24. I bought mine because I picked up a few sets of Axminster jaws cheaply. Sorby jaws are expensive, so the option is handy.

Big advantage of the Versa Chuck is the ease of changing the ISO backplate to suit different spindle threads.
I have several different backplates and it allowed me to use the versachuck and old style axminster precision chucks on different lathes for demonstrations using part prepared items, even my metal turning lathe for some projects.

Back