Spiers Smoothing Plane Number Marks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone confirm the markings on this Spiers smoothing plane.
The base is cast with 84, the iron is also marked 84, but what does it signify ?
3AF81DAC-9608-4112-ACD0-B7A09900BCAC.jpeg
5AF64F7F-859D-4DCF-B417-D1CE05A45E5A.jpeg
F8F346E4-AFDA-4E49-A0A0-1C6818DBCB75.jpeg

Last edited:
Probably a matching batch number, uniting a blade with a matching body and a particular maker.

A lot of these old tools were originally bench-made on piece-work.

couldn't clue you in on what the numbering is, but it is a spiers plane-o-ayr, a common plane that was relatively affordable at least the last time I looked.

Well, in so far as anything made by spiers was - maybe $225 for a clean one, and in the US, we assume that means they can be had for relatively little in the UK.

couldn't clue you in on what the numbering is, but it is a spiers plane-o-ayr, a common plane that was relatively affordable at least the last time I looked.

Well, in so far as anything made by spiers was - maybe $225 for a clean one, and in the US, we assume that means they can be had for relatively little in the UK.
Thanks DW

Noticing the 'Broad Arrow' mark on the body and the blade, suggests to me that the plane was originally made for the British government.

Bit more about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broad_arrow
Not uncommon on old tools or other items coming up on the second-hand market here in the UK.
We find it here in the UK dotted about the countryside, carved on stones and bridges, as it was also used as a height datum mark on Ordnance Survey maps and certain points in the landscape.

Back