Spiers infill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see what you mean. The wooden parts look very clean, possibly clean enough to have been refinished, but the steel is rusty and neglected.

On the other hand, that really long horn on the rear handle looks lovely. I think a similar shaped handle was discussed on here a few years ago, with general surprise that it had not got broken.

Maybe it had a careful owner who died and it got left in a damp shed.
I've seen that sort of rust come on disappointingly quickly.

Yes it is surprising that it has survived like that or maybe it is a replacement. In any case, it might be worth keeping an eye on although the price could rocket up closer to the end of the auction. I also have a very nice Preston of a very similar design so maybe I'm being greedy. A nice old tool to save from further deterioration though and a parallel iron by the looks of it, even if not an original.

Cheers
Richard

It's a nicely made replacement handle. There are certain aesthetic thing about it that would never have been done by spiers. I can point them out if it's helpful.

You could buy it and sell the Preston to me :)

With a replacement handle and a replacement iron, it's probably worth $150 To 175 here but most sellers would try for more. If my math is good, that's about 250 to somewhere in the ballpark of 293 nzd ...no calculator handy, but the current exchange is about 5/3.

D_W":3tfx3f6o said:
You could buy it and sell the Preston to me :)

I think we have had this conversation before :)

OK, I thought the handle might be a replacement, that confirms it. I'll keep an eye on the auction and see how much others want it.

Cheers
Richard

I've never had a preston infill. It was worth a (re)try :)

Latest posts

Back