Spelling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not the best, my punctuation is terrible but please .... for the love of god, it's drawers not draws .....

I am now finding younger people's spelling is getting worse. I frequently find those under 30 writing, in what should be a semi formal context, in text speak with shorthand I do not understand.

So at 52 I am beginning to turn into my father! I now watch and agree with Grumpy Old Men on the telly.

Mick

It's not just you - we recently had a girl temping at work, and the lack of punctuation and constant use of "text speak" words made her emails utterly illegible.
Sometimes I despair.

Si.

The mistake I see very often, even in otherwise well written posts, is the use of "your" when "you're" is correct. The mix-up between "there" and "their" is also very common.

Have to agree bad spelling and even use of text speak does my swede in.
Re 'for the love of god, it's drawers not draws .....' are you doing it or looking in them?
I also find so called 'smilies' infuriating.
I was fifty a few weeks back though.

chunkolini":141ejumr said:
I also find so called 'smilies' infuriating.
I was fifty a few weeks back though.

Victor - somewhat belated but Happy Birthday :lol:

I find translation sites like Babelfish very useful when confronted with gibberish posts that are hard to understand, I write a reply in Dutch or some other language which the offender will hopefully find equally difficult, something along the lines of...

"Dit is een Brits forum, het grootste deel van it' s de leden zijn Brits en spreken het Engels, zelfs die leden van andere landen, die vaak don' t heeft het Engels aangezien een eerste taal, schijnt om meer inspanning te leveren dan u doen en erin slagen op een bepaalde manier te posten dat de meerderheid van ons kan begrijpen. Zou het aan veel zijn om dat u een fractie van die inspanning gebruikt en vaag begrijpelijk iets te vragen schrijft?"

Lowlife":q7x6awqd said:
, I write a reply in Dutch or some other language which the offender will hopefully find equally difficult, something along the lines of...

Fantastic idea! Some texts I receive from a certain person would give the team at Countdown pause for thought, I now have the means to exact my revenge :twisted:

The one I detest, and that seems to be spreading, is 'alot'.

Roy.

Alot? wos dis den? noo 1 on mee.
Persnly not bovvered how they spel. Gud look to em. Downt b pert of ohever u r.!! Izza alot o bolox.

Alot alot. Anyfink ter do wiv allotments?

Alot alot. Anyfink ter do wiv allotments?

Not a thing Jacob, thus how they spell does indeed matter as you were unable to understand, QED!

Roy.

doctor Bob":218yigh3 said:
I'm not the best, my punctuation is terrible but please .... for the love of god, it's drawers not draws .....
Wot about bloons?

cambournepete wrote
Some would say that language - and hence "speeling" - is constantly evolving, so the things being complained about are just natural evolution.

Oops! :lol:

Dave

Evolution usually results in improvement though, this is de-evolution, we're regressing to a system of verbal communication based on gutteral grunts, and a written language that pre-dates standardised spelling.

It's hardly surprising there's so much unemployment right now, when so many people lack the literacy and numeracy skills to perform even the most basic tasks without constant supervision. They are essentially unemployable, and the jobs they should be doing are often taken by immigrant workers for whom English is a second or third language.

A bit of a random jump above from discussing spelling to going on about immigration.
Sounds like the casual racism spouted by The Daily Mail.

Back