Spehar toolworks, Adria, et al

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone, in addition to Philly, own a Spehar saw?

I'm getting close to purchasing my first western-style dovetail saw and am having a hard time choosing between the LN, Adria and Spehar offerings. I might have to go with the Spehar because it's just so unique.

I'm sure that if the same person set and sharpened the three saws they'd cut between a gnats whisker of each other.

Anyone have any comparisons to offer up?

Dave
Alright-you don't want to hear from me, fair enough! :wink:
I also have two Lie-Nielsen dovetail saws-the regular one and a straight handled crosscut d/s. They are both gems!
Vlad's saws are great (and excellent value for a tailor made tool!!)-We truly are spoiled for choice when it comes to high quality tools!
Cheers
Philly :D

Phil,

Is a comparison of your two "regular" dt saws out of the question? :wink:

I've been checking out Vlad's site and he's just had another "addition" to the family so he's talking about scaling back his work.

Well, as I have all 3, I'll happily recommend that the best one of all is the ..... <ahhhh....slowly drifts out of blissful dream>.

The Gloatmeister I suspect is best placed as I believe you've got 2 out of the 3 haven't you? .

I can only speak for the Adrias. What are the criteria in choosing such high quality tools? Truth probably is for all of them that their cutting performance is within a gnats danglies of perfection.

cheers

Ike

I think the biggest and most significant difference is with the handles, and how they feel in your hand. Unfortunately few of us ever have a chance to try them all out. I've tried Adria and LN and I ended up with LN saws, but that's just what my hand told me to buy.
HTHBIPSIW
(hope this helps but I'm pretty sure it won't),
Frank

Dave
My Spehar is a tenon saw-so can't help you there, although the quality is of a very high standard and it cuts like a dream. I imagine the D/T saw would be great, although the handle is an interesting angle...
As to the L-N's.....
Standard D/T saw (open handle) is real nice. Feels great in the hand, starting the cut is "interesting" due to the rip teeth, but once started cuts quick and true. A real pleasure to use (and if you've seen Rob Cosman using one you really gotta have one!! :roll: )
The straight handled crosscut D/T saw is another matter-lighter than the regular saw. Easier to start the cut, cuts nearly as fast as the rip (both are 15 tpi) But this saw is for finer work (IMHO) It provides amazing amounts of feedback and is fantasic to use. The straight handle is pretty comfortable and allows different grips. It kinda feels like a Jap saw at times.....
So which would I recommend? That's like asking which ONE plane should you buy! :lol: :lol:
Sorry
Philly :D

I just received an email from Vlad and he's definitely scaling back production or stopping altogether. I definitely want to get a saw from him before that happens.

spehar.jpg

I've had a Spehar dovetail saw for a while and recently ordered two tenon saws. I can't wait for them to arrive. I've never held an Adria or a LN, so I can't offer an opinion on them, but I really like my Spehar. I should warn you though, I'm clannish and would buy an Adria or Spehar simply because they're Canadian.

Ed :)

Ed451":2rtmha1y said:
I've had a Spehar dovetail saw for a while and recently ordered two tenon saws.

Another stylish debut! :)

Welcome to the workshop, Ed.

Is the 3/4 cutout in the LN and Spehar handles used for hanging the saws for storage?
saw5big.jpg

Philly,

I notice that you don't mention the Paragon dovetail saw hanging on your wall. Is it that bad? :wink:

Dave

rack1.jpg

I just bought to of Vlad's saws a few months back.. I have two PAX tenon and dovetail saws but they don't cut for mud (gonna have to take time and redo them) and the handles are too small. The saws I got from vlad cut like butter and the handles are extrordinary. Outstanding IMHO =D>

ydb1md":2vay6hbe said:
Is the 3/4 cutout in the LN and Spehar handles used for hanging the saws for storage?

I've heard a lot of explanations for the function of that cutout, but the hanging slot theory actually makes sense; I tried it out and the saw balances almost perfectly in upright position. I've always used it as a cigar holder. 8)
Frank

Back