Spehar toolworks, Adria, et al

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed, you need Philly's Correspondence Course in Advanced Gloating. We need pics! Preferably with gratuitous shots of other desirable tools/timber or even - gasp - completed work demonstrating show-off joinery in the background. :lol: Have fun, and any feedback on them welcomed. :D

Cheers, Alf

Hmmm . . .

Is there a disciplinary action for an improper gloat?

More pics . . . ? An extended review . . . ? ;)

There won't be any pics until the missus gets back from her trip, since she took the camera with her. I'm making a screen door for one of my coworkers, and this is my first attempt at tenons so I expect there'll be lots and lots of use for my LV Medium shoulder plane. Hmmmm, guess I'd better go sharpen it. I'll get some pics once I'm able.

Ed

Ed451":25i11lt1 said:
There won't be any pics until the missus gets back from her trip, since she took the camera with her. I'm making a screen door for one of my coworkers, and this is my first attempt at tenons so I expect there'll be lots and lots of use for my LV Medium shoulder plane. Hmmmm, guess I'd better go sharpen it. I'll get some pics once I'm able.

Ed

Got any pics of the saws Ed? How do they cut?

I'm still watching the mail for mine. :roll: :whistle:

I'll take a few for you. I've only cut pine so far, which isn't really a good test of the saws since you could probably cut it with a dinner knife. :)

Ed

I got an email from Vlad last night. My saw is finished, he just hasn't had time to mail it. Crossing my fingers that I see it this weekend. [-o<

Ok, I'll add some pics of the mortises and tenons I'm cutting as well, then. They ain't pretty, but you asked for it.

Ed :)

Hi everyone,

I liked the look of my Spehar saws, until I compared them with LN saws. After spending a day with Rob Cosman, I had the opportunity to compare LN saws to my equivalent Spehar offerings. Mine are massive compared to LN's copies of Disstons. I don't mind that, but in my rip tenon saw, the teeth were not evenly cut and the fit and finish of the metal parts was not equal to that of the LN saws. The blades were not as straight. For $ 130 US each, I really expect a better comparison between the two. Regretfully, I've emailed Vlad to arrange returns of my saws so that I can purchase LN's. It saddens me to do this, because I was really looking forward to learning to use them as they were. I thought my dovetail saw cut like a dream (not knowing any better) until I tried a LN dovetail saw. A fair comparison between my dovetail saw and Rob's LN would be like a steak-knife and a scalpel. I was able to cut fitting dovetails with my saw, but it was about 10X harder to start the cut and not nearly as smooth. For the price I paid, my saw should have cut as, or almost as, smoothly as the LN.

I feel I must apologize to this forum for promoting Spehar saws as I previously did: I obviously did not know what I was talking about.

Ed :oops:

Well, I'm sorry they didn't work out for you, Ed.

It's dissappointing, I'm sure. You will like the LN saws. They are nice saws. But so are good vintage saws if you want to take the time to clean them up and sharpen them. And they'll work every bit as good as the LN.

I've got both a couple LN and some vintage saws. That said, I wouldn't be getting rid of my LNs in order to get vintage either.

When you get the LN saws we'll rejoice with you that you have something you will be pleased with--no apology necessary for me.

Mike

No sweat Ed,
Enthusiasm for a new tool is a great feeling and it's quite understandable to communicate that to others. And sometimes as we come to know a tool better and try out others we change our minds, that happens to everyone once in a while. It's the same thing with methods of work, we learn and make progress and move on. I appreciate the follow up, you could have said nothing but you chose to be forthright about it. That takes strength of character and it shows you care.
Frank

Ed,

How disappointing for you, thanks for letting us know. I wonder though if you are comparing the saws as standard? I have the LN's and like them but I suspect that Cosman's may have been fettled (he certainly refers in to this in his talks at the shows - things like stoning the saw) to the point where they perform a lot better than the LN saw straight form the factory.

Ed,

Sorry to hear that the Spehars didn't work out for you. I agree that they are rather, uhm, big in their presentation. That works for my tastes but I'm sure it doesn't appeal to all. I'd like to get a Lie Nielsen crosscut saw eventually and I imagine its personality will be very different from the Spehar.

You'll have to do a comparison test for us when you get your LN's. :)

Dave

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Telling you all the difference, in my mind, was the only right thing to do.

Bugbear, I stand corrected.

Waterhead37, you're probably right there, but Rob tried my saws as well and stoned one side of the dovetail saw to try to straighten the cut....no cigar, however.

Dave, you're right about the saws being gifted in stature, and I don't mind that, but for $130 US, I should expect the teeth to be cut evenly shouldn't I?

Ed

Latest posts

Back