Speed adjustment not working

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow10003

Reaction score
I am new to wood turning and have bought a second hand Clarke CWL20RV lathe but although it should have 10 speeds I am only getting speed settings 6,7,and 8 the lever will not move to any other gears

From a quick google, it seems to be the same as my axminster m900. If so, it has a variable speed drive based on 2 cones, so the speed can only be changed when running.

If it still will not change even when running, you can take the cover of the belt housing off and see if there are any obstructions. The cones each run along a central shaft, that may have become rusty or need oiling. If you have the back off, obviously make sure you are either only rotating it by hand, or keep your fingers well clear...

sounds like lack of use.....
quite difficult to get at the shafts n splines to clean them.....
prob best to take it apart.....
any of the rust dust will damage the alloy pulleys...esp if it's held in the oil residue....
bit like grinding paste....

From a quick google, it seems to be the same as my axminster m900. If so, it has a variable speed drive based on 2 cones, so the speed can only be changed when running.

If it still will not change even when running, you can take the cover of the belt housing off and see if there are any obstructions. The cones each run along a central shaft, that may have become rusty or need oiling. If you have the back off, obviously make sure you are either only rotating it by hand, or keep your fingers well clear...
Thanks for the advise I will try this as I know the owner had passed away and the lathe has been idle and in a damp shed for some time

Thanks for the advise I will try this as I know the lathe has been in a damp shed and idle for a long time

Thanks for the advise I will try this as I know the owner had passed away and the lathe has been idle and in a damp shed for some time

Easy enough job, when you re assemble use a dry moly type lubricant to prevent dust and debris sticking. Did my Axi M900 several times over the years,

I am new to wood turning and have bought a second hand Clarke CWL20RV lathe but although it should have 10 speeds I am only getting speed settings 6,7,and 8 the lever will not move to any other gears
I have a Poolewood 28-40 and had the problem with the speed not adjusting, 2 cones as someone else said. I gave it a good cleanup and oil (the first time in about 20 years) and it now works perfectly.

Latest posts

Back