Speaking of pens...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, once in a while when I'm working on a larger project, the scraps call to me. My wife makes and sells pens and I like the diversion of the lathe late at night.

Here's the latest in curly Ash.

curly_ash_0001a.jpg

Mike

oldsoke":7u7gqem9 said:
That looks good Mike... who's work, yours or the Boss?
Thank you Graham.

Hah! My labor, her profit.

Come to think of it, I bought the wood the blanks were cut from. I cut the blanks and predrilled bunches of them. I preglued tubes and otherwise prepared the pen blanks. I turned those you see in the photo--and a bunch more she's sold.

I think I'm her slave.

And for Chas...she's warming to the thought of posting...

Nice figuring in that wood Mike, have not had a go at anything that small yet but have seen some of Trevors work and the miniature pieces by Graham which has set me to making up a set of smaller tools as and when a time slot comes vacant.

MikeW":20k8y0x8 said:
[...snip...
And for Chas...she's warming to the thought of posting...

Great, the more the merrier, we all need a dose of new inspiration now and then.

Suffering withdrawal symptoms myself at the moment, (from turning, not posting) whilst insulating and lining the workshop ceiling and walls, completing a new door and finishing off the alarm/security lighting system.

Tell her she has time to post pics. before I am back in business due to visitors staying over for a few days.

Mike

I think I'm her slave

sounds familiar :p ...mind you, I can do anything I like ...when I have permission :cry:

looking forward to the Boss' postings

Ooo, purty. =D> How do you and the Boss finish them, Mike?

MikeW":pvc6rpem said:
Come to think of it, I bought the wood the blanks were cut from. I cut the blanks and predrilled bunches of them. I preglued tubes and otherwise prepared the pen blanks. I turned those you see in the photo--and a bunch more she's sold.
Well you can't expect to have the use of the kitchen rent-free :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Nice pens Mike! :D
Truly something to write home about............ #-o
Cheers
Philly :lol:
(You must of seen that one coming :lol: )

That are nice pens, must be nice to own one of them.

what kind of lathe do you have to make these miniature things??

McLuma

Alf":219j9km1 said:
Ooo, purty. =D> How do you and the Boss finish them, Mike?
Mostly a shellac/wax mix. Sometimes a lacquer, rubbed out and waxed. On pens she knows will see hard use, it's a CA glue finish. Sometimes just waxed and buffed.
MikeW":219j9km1 said:
Alf":219j9km1 said:
Well you can't expect to have the use of the kitchen rent-free :roll: Cheers, Alf
If I were feeling a bit braver, I would post the pictures I took of Dina's hoards of wood throughout the house, in the garden shed and around the property. As well, yesterday she hauled me off from working long enough to fill the truck with sections of a Black Walnut our arborist neighbor was taking out on the other side of town. I was almost worthless when I was done unloading and stacking it.

But then again, she has put up with me for our 31 years. Small price to pay on my part.

Thank you for the compliment, btw. Pens are a near instant gratification.

Mcluma":2erbo6aq said:
That are nice pens, must be nice to own one of them.
what kind of lathe do you have to make these miniature things??
McLuma
Thanks. Dina has a Jet mini lathe and a Jet 14-42. The pens are mostly turned on the small lathe, but if she is doing a small turning on it and I want to turn something I'll use the bigger lathe.

Back