• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FTAGH Spares / repairs - record 52.5 vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpycorn

Established Member
Reaction score
I got this when my brother in law cleared out his grandad’s shed and it arrived already in bits!

Late model 52.5. I think it’s ‘only’ missing the split pin and screw that secures the slide bar, and the quick release spring/ nut (the one that goes inside the spring).

On top of that the guide bars are heavily scored from someone doing something… not sure what but I doubt it was woodworking!

I’ll never work in advertising… but as I’ve already got a 52.5 that I need to install, hopefully these bits can be useful for someone, else it will be weighed in.

Free collection from York.

Cheers
Tom
917C0410-58C6-4AF6-93E0-11F9352C6A92.jpeg

Having taken apart and spruced up 4x quick release vices, I think you might be missing the spring that attaches to the small blue handle. Record had a couple of different ways of then tensioning the spring; later ones had a ‘one way nut’ that was quite distinctive.

Just thought I'd let you know,.....I think you will find that your vice is earlier than you thought...!!

Looking at that front face, for example,....I think it dates from the 1930's as the later versions were different.
The presence & location of the RD 664709 number and the position of the " Made in England " were absent from the 1940's version and the later versions.

Last edited:
Thanks both, all good info. The spring I knew about but didn’t describe very well. I didn’t realise it was as early as that though makes sense since I reckon it’s sat in a shed for a fair old while.

Doesn’t affect my decision though as the one I’ve got is earlier and was a bit more loved!

As Disinterior notes, thats an earlier, most likely pre WW2 vice and its a very generous offer considering how much they change hands for on auction sites…
I already have one of similar vintage from a chippy-shop my dad used to be in charge of and its still doing sterling service.

Tom, just a note to say although in it's state with bits missing the components you have are far too good to be scrapped.
The bars are excellent bits of steel for a metal worker and if in good condition the half nut and screw might put an otherwise defunct vice back into operation.
I'd launch the "toolie lifeboat" but your a bit far for me ......
Cheers Andy

Don’t worry Andy, it will get a stay of execution… I was being a bit glib saying I’d weigh it in. If a member here doesn’t want it I’ll stick it on marketplace locally… I just wanted to give someone here first dibs.

Worst case it will end up sat next to the rest of the ‘useful someday’ pile… after all that’s how I got it in the first place!

It looks to be the same version I have from the early1930's and it would be such a shame to scrap it.
Original parts are difficult to get hold of.....I'm sure you will find someone who will appreciate it and possibly try to restore it back to working condition.

I'd take it for our men's shed if no one else wants it. Perhaps I could ride out that way tomorrow afternoon meet up somewhere?

I brought one for myself so the Mrs will ask why do you want another Vice!🤣🤣🤣

More than happy for you to take it for a mens shed @Jameshow - good idea that I should have thought of and a good project for someone I should think.

Unfortunately I can’t do tomorrow due to various kids activities, but we can sort out another day I’m sure?

I've never had a woodworking vice, I'd bite your arm off for it, unfortunately I'm in Italy. I love old tools, I'm currently restoring a cast iron bandsaw.

If the vice is available I would put my hat in the ring. Under no circumstances should you scrap it. The missing parts are not an issue but rather a video on YouTube replacement parts. How do we talk?

@Devmeister - waiting to hear back from Jameshow as he bit first.... but if you're in the USA, that's going to be very costly to ship it to the UK I reckon having done a quick google...

Back