"Spare" cast iron table saw top ... (in my hallway)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the top to a wadkin AGS 250 table saw.

One of these -

wad_ags_2014.jpg

Its a lump of cast iron -

ags-jpg.256359

...and its been sitting in out hallway way too long!

As you can see its got the oval cut out for the blade, and two slots for sliding mitres etc.

I also have the fence mechanism, but kind of had plans for that elsewhere.

I wanted to turn the table into a router table. This kind of thing -

maxresdefault-1-jpg.256360

But its not ideal, in that the oval hole is too small to use as-is, and longer than standard router insert plates. Which isnt really an issue, as i can make up a custom plate, but it just starts feeling more and more like a bodge.

Plus, Im not 100% sure how, say, a 10mm, plate will work out. As in id need a lip for it to sit on, and ive not yet calculated if id still have that lip, after removing 10mm for the recess.

So, my question -

a) do you reckon a router table is a good idea / would work, or
b) what else should i do with it? Id consider floging it, and, sure, to the right person it would be hundreds, but as a lump of flat cast with an awkward oval hole, i cant see it being more than £50 or so, so its hardly a big money item.

Basically, any ideas that get it out of my hall way, and im all ears!

Thank you.

I'd say that's definitely worth using as a cast table would beat other types all day long. It wouldn't be too difficult to machine a recess and create a plate and you can fix a plate under the table to provide a lip and strengthening where required.
Needs a bit of thought and careful planning but perfectly feasible imo, if you don't want it I'll have it :D and I bet that I wouldn't be the only taker.

Here's another photo -

ags3-jpg.256383

The ribs could be machined away. The area where the black colouration is (between about 7 and 9 3/4 inches on the photo) is only about 7.5mm thick. The rest is more like 13.8mm.

If i were to make a cut out for an insert plate, because of the thin black bit, i would probably have to make it this big, in order to get a lip to sit it on the whole way around -

ags2-jpg.256384

Or, i accept that its unsupported for 2.5" (which if i use a 10mm plate, im sure is acceptable) and move the insert plate away from the slot.

Back