Spare blades for sip 70120

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whevs

Reaction score
:D Hi all!

I am a very enthusistic amateur woodworker with very little money, I am currently restoring a clinker built boat that has a lot of rot in it due to bodged (no offence to authentic bodgers) repairs with isopon body filler. So I borrowed a thicknesser from a mate to clean up some oak pallet planks and various bits of mahogany and oak that I find washed up on the beach, I thought I'd taken out all of the nails................ I think you may see where this is going :oops: Anyway as I caused the chipped blades I felt it only fair to buy him some more, I can't find them anywhere though, it's a discontinued 318mm blade width model. The blades have three locating holes with one in the middle and one at either end. The blades are double sided and I chipped the blunt bad side but still, I feel obliged so can anyone help me out as to where to get a set of these blades at a reasonable cost?

Cheers

I sadly don't know of anyone that does but if you look through the internet i am sure you or someone could find some spare blades somewhere, another option would be to get the blades reground somewhere local maybe or even on the internet maybe someone on here knows somewhere to get them reground as they have used them before or even the people on here might re grind them for you for the price of postage or a beer.
Just other options to look at if you cannot get a new pair of blades.
Thanks Tim

Thank you all very much Mick, Tim and Eric, I'd seen Appleby on ebay but I'd forgotten to look them up, I think I was unsure if they sold anything but the mysteriously wrapped Tersa knives which I have never heard of and couldn't even see in the pics on ebay. I just checked them out and they do a lot of blades, I emailed them to enquire about this SIP model (fingers crossed). I will also look into having them reground but I fear as they don't appear to be adjustable (double edged disposable maybe) that there is no extra blade to grind back to, I'll also look at cutting solutions. Thank you all so much this is fantastic advice from people in the know.

Top notch, I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks to all, been in touch with Appleby, very helpful but no joy as yet, those Barke knives look interesting, thanks to Cutting solutions, but I really can't figure out wether any of them would fit on the block, it's a possibility. The dimensions are: 318mm x 12mm x 1.4mm, three holes along centreline of blade, one in middle of blade is 159mm from either end to centre of hole and two end holes are 59mm from their respective ends to the centre of each hole, blade is double sided. I have found a Sealy blade for their 330mm thicknesser which has all the holes in the correct positions and is 12mm wide, it is 2mm thick but I'm not sure 0.6mm is going to make much difference? It is too long but if 6mm is ground off each end, that would make the blade identical except for the slightly thicker blade, do you think this is my best bet?

Thanks and sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit ill for a few weeks and took my eye off the ball

Gavin

Ok, I've found the blades after much searching, I have discovered that the Delta 22-562 blades are an almost identical match, only difference being that thet are 0.1mm thicker which is nothing to worry about in my opinion. I got the blades from Amazon USA and they were just under £20 including shipping (not including the £3.70 VAT and £8 'Handling Fee' for Royal Mail, so about £30 in the end which is still not bad, I don't mind the VAT but I'd rather pay it to Customs direct than pay Royal Mail £8 for paying it for me. Anyway, took under 2 weeks to get here and I checked them against the original blades, same bevels, same width, almost identical thickness, oval holes exactly the same size in exactly the same locations, one unanticipated difference is that the blades are slightly longer (1mm on each end) but they still fit on the cutter block with no overlap. These blades are available in many suppliers in the US so if anyone else has this SIP thicknesser and needs blades then these are the ones to go for in my opinion. Thanks to everyone who has helped me with advice. :D

Back