Spam warning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterfish

Established Member
Reaction score
I just had a text message from an unknown number with the following text

'Kieran tried to deliver your shipment today, but no one was home. To re-organise a new date for this, please visit <web address removed>

No identification of sender at all

It set alalrm bells ringing so I've searched and found it has been reported as a phishing scam. Apparently it is supposedly sent from the Post Office but will tell you that there is a small charge to arrange redelivery and they need your card details and cvc number to pay this.

Of course all they want are the card details so they can fraudently purchase at your expense.

Watch out for this!

Jeff

Thanks for the warning. Hopefully in the not too distant future they will be able to stop these scam messages
I get loads of scam calls as well. I never answer my phone if the number is not recognised. If someone really wants to contact you, they will leave a message. Blocking a number is not very effective as the scammers numbers change all the time, but I do it anyway.

On the scam calls front like Sandy, unless i recognize the number I let it go straight to answerphone, though have been caught out a couple of times usually early morning and I answer without thinking only to hear the usual spiel and either tell them to F off or politely decline and hang up.

I did initially answer alll calls, 90% were scammers trying to do the 'tech help' scam - trying to claim the warnings on events manager were critical dangers or a sign of some other scammer, but im clued up enough to know that these things in events manager are pretty normal. It would probably be better if microsoft renamed them so they dont look more threatening to unfamiliar with MS type users.

But what I found was, by continually answering, and either getting angry at them, calling them all sorts or playing them for a while before revealing i knew it was a scam and they were trying a con, was it seemed to encourage them more to continually phone, and pass my details down the line to other scammer types and the calls would sometimes be three a day.
Since I let it go to answer machine, all they get is the standard message and hang up ,leaving no message of their own so this seems to be the correct protocol.
So now i get maybe 3 a week. and although its slightly annoying, and I need to vet each call, waiting to see if it is actually someone who needs me, as in hospital or benefits agency or such, it is better by far and I think has lessened the chance the scammers will call, as they appear to be learning that all they will get is the answering machine and nothing more. Hopefully one day they'll stop altogether.

This is a land line. I dont give out mobile details to anyone, and as yet I've had no calls or scams sent to me.

Then phase 2 is a call from "your bank" - determined by the bank details you provide in step one - telling you your account has been compromised and you need to transfer the money to a "safe account".

not brilliant statement about society, but in life I generally find not trusting (certainly without looking more closely) is the best approach, don't answer unknown callers, don't give out mobile numbers. sad, but unfortunately true.

not brilliant statement about society, but in life I generally find not trusting (certainly without looking more closely) is the best approach, don't answer unknown callers, don't give out mobile numbers. sad, but unfortunately true.
They don't have your mobile - they just send randomly to every mobile number their program generates - even if the hit rate is low, you only need one person to transfer their life savings to make it worthwhile.

I’ve had several calls recently supposedly from hrmc saying I’m being investigated for fraud and a warrant has been issued in my name, I just hang up and block the number only for them to call again on another number. They will then send a text message saying the same thing . It’s all aimed at forcing you to panic and make a rushed decision which will cost you dearly. Several months ago I fell for the post office message mentioned earlier in this thread as I was waiting for a parcel from the states and wrongly assumed it was due to the new rules re-brexit -it wasn’t !!!. Fortunately my banks security stopped my account so I lost £1:50 but they tried to take £1,500 and £ 800 . It’s very easy to fall for these scams especially if your not yourself or like me have been suffering with extreme stress and anxiety. So please never think it won’t happen to you because it absolutely can. These scammers will always come up with new methods and ways to steal your hard earned and like me it could be when your at a low point or vulnerable which is exactly who they target . Take care all

Several months ago I fell for the post office message mentioned earlier in this thread as I was waiting for a parcel from the states and wrongly assumed it was due to the new rules re-brexit -it wasn’t !!!. Fortunately my banks security stopped my account so I lost £1:50 but they tried to take £1,500 and £ 800 . It’s very easy to fall for these scams especially if your not yourself or like me have been suffering with extreme stress and anxiety.
Ah - if you responded to a previous scam you are likely on a "suckers list" - hence the higher frequency.

Indeed - we get a fair number of scam calls but we are wise to most of the ploys. However, in this case it was the first time I'd been sent a scam text message and the web address looked like a GB depot. What it omitted was any of my details or even which delivery service (not to mention I wsn't expecting a delivery) so I was suspicious right from the start

Ah - if you responded to a previous scam you are likely on a "suckers list" - hence the higher frequency.
Unfortunately you are probably right but any text messages from my bank are followed by a phone call to my bank just in case . Anything else is ignored, even my 12 yr old son gets spam calls but he doesn’t answer them ..

Indeed - we get a fair number of scam calls but we are wise to most of the ploys. However, in this case it was the first time I'd been sent a scam text message and the web address looked like a GB depot. What it omitted was any of my details or even which delivery service (not to mention I wsn't expecting a delivery) so I was suspicious right from the start
It was the fact I was expecting a parcel and the message took me to an exact copy of the Royal Mail website-they will not get me again I’ve also had fake messages from Amazon who I order from a lot, these scammers are everywhere-a common one is sent you you requesting that you pay the postage even tho this is paid at point of sale .

It was the fact I was expecting a parcel and the message took me to an exact copy of the Royal Mail website-they will not get me again I’ve also had fake messages from Amazon who I order from a lot, these scammers are everywhere-a common one is sent you you requesting that you pay the postage even tho this is paid at point of sale .
( they send you a message requesting postage )

A good number of years ago wife and I being very low users had PAYG phone sims.

One day the phone rings in the "shap" I switch off the saw, switch off the dust extractor, I take of the ear defenders, take off the glasses, take off the mask walk to the phone to listen to a guy who want's to talk to my wife about her monthly bt mobile plan.

I lost it "Don't you effin bees have anything better to do , why dont you get a real job etc, etc many and variouss expletives and adjectives, before slamming down the phone.

Couple of days later she says " I've changed to a monthly phone plan it's only £15 a month for unlimited minutes and texts you should consider it.

I said I'll think about it. :(

Back