Spam filters rant

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
My internet conection is working pretty well at the moment, which is nice, and means that I can receive on average 600 spam emails per day

I have both Orange and Norton attempting to filter these out for me, but apparently neither of them can work out that if it starts with V and ends with A then it's an advert for pharmaceuticals, and similarly if it starts with R and ends with E then it's an advert for refinancing websites.

Grrrr.........

John

Can't speak for either Orange or Norton, John, but if you are using Outlook (not express) then spambayes is good.

mailwasher as well. If you search the forum you'll find that others have recommended other stuff as well

Roger

I'll third that. Why anyone would want to download spam to their PC (or Mac) before deleting it is beyond me.

Andy

After NTLWorld put server based spam filters in place, my levels have gone down to almost nothing, so perhaps a change of ISP is called for.

Must get them to do something about this Charley chap though, he is a real nuisance. :wink: :lol:

dedee":1fjw2747 said:
I'll third that. Why anyone would want to download spam to their PC (or Mac) before deleting it is beyond me.

Andy
Similarly why anyone would want ads with their mail is beyond me. Gmail is still in beta isnt it? It's odd that for all I hear about it I don't personally know anyone who has been invited to test, or otherwise has an account.

mr":23x0iln3 said:
Similarly why anyone would want ads with their mail is beyond me.

Especially when the adverts are promoted to you on the basis of the content of the emails you are sending and receiving. Err, no thanks. Almost worse than a supermarket store card in terms of intrusion.

Google has a cuddly vibe, and has always since about a month of launch been by far my favourite search engine. But they are now a mega-corp on the Microsoft scale and I trust them about as much.

I don't get much of that - I use a paid-for email service with multiple disposable email aliases that all reference to my main address but are killable instantly if they get compromised.

Edit: and anyway, they are just punting stuff at you, which you can deal with as you choose, rather than looking at what you are doing.

Jake , more info please about your paid for service.
Mike

Simple solution to gmail - of googlemail as you get in Blighty - set it up for POP access and avoid the ads.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3e2l9e0v said:
Simple solution to gmail - of googlemail as you get in Blighty - set it up for POP access and avoid the ads.

They'll still be scanning the content of your email though, which is my objection to gmail.

Jake":om68l4n7 said:
I use fastmail.fm.

Sorry, was in a rush.

The idea is that you have a main email address, which you save for trusted stuff, family, friends, etc. You can also select a number of alias email addresses at the various different domains they own, which are re-directed to your main account. I have three or so, one of which is a junk one which I use wherever I'm asked to fill in an email address where I think it might be sold on or harvested somehow. Every now and then, some git does exactly that and the spam starts. At which point I kill that alias and start a new one.

Jake":9zxptazk said:
They'll still be scanning the content of your email though, which is my objection to gmail.

Any good spam filter has to scan the email to decide if its spam or not.

Jake":2emi1hl1 said:
Alf":2emi1hl1 said:

True enough. I hope the Old Tools List gives them joy... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

DaveL":2m2ea02g said:
Jake":2m2ea02g said:

Any good spam filter has to scan the email to decide if its spam or not.

True..but I would rather have that spam filter running on my PC rather than on a server somewhere that any TDoH can read.

Back