Spalting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwlossie

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me please......is it possible to halt the spalting process?

I have made a couple of tea light holders from spalted ash. I finished with Speed-n-Eze then a buff with Bison wax.

There is now a small deposit of white "fungus" on them. I assume this fungus is the spalting agent and if it is still appearing then it is still active. Not really desirable on wooden furniture!

Barry.

If the wood's dry and I assume it is since it's inside - then it's more than likely the finish you applied. Have a look here for a quick run-down:

Spalting

bwlossie":2w3fe6ih said:
Can anyone tell me please......is it possible to halt the spalting process?

I have made a couple of tea light holders from spalted ash. I finished with Speed-n-Eze then a buff with Bison wax.

There is now a small deposit of white "fungus" on them. I assume this fungus is the spalting agent and if it is still appearing then it is still active. Not really desirable on wooden furniture!

Barry.

Both causes have already been mentioned. If the wood wasn't dry then the spalting process does continue. Regarding the finish I would have used cellulose sanding sealer and then the wax.

the spalting process can be stopped simlpy by reducing the moisture content of the timber and drying for a few weeks before returning to the lathe to finnish .

Thanks for the replies.
Mark, as I have stated before, I have only been turning for about 6 months now. When I first started I went out to get my "bits and pieces".
I had no idea of the difference between cellulose sanding sealer/speed-n-eze etc. When this first lot of finish material is used then I will get on the right track.
Treefella, thanks for the reply. That is what I wanted to be told. I've said before, ALL my wood is wet [the micro wave has been on overtime] Yes I HAVE got my own microwave in the workshop. Don't fancy pie and shavings.

Barry.

Hello Barry.
I've got a piece of spalted Elm i think it is.Since it's been indoors it as also started to get white spores on it.So perhaps it is down to it drying out.
Have you had much success with the microwave drying. :?:
I tried it word for word out of a book i've got,and it started to split almost straight away. :!: :!:
Paul.J.

Hi Paul,

I paint the ends of the blanks as per usual. Then every time they go in the micro wave I put a small pencil mark on the paint.

I use defrost setting for 60 secs. Pencil mark. Put on garage floor. [concrete] and leave for about an hour. This weather it is possible to see the steam rising from the blank. I have some cedar which is now on it's 7th. cycle. I roughed it the other day and there is still a slight amount of moisture on the gouge.

The cedar started at 36% moisture. Now down to around 15% so still a little way to go. I understand around 10/12% is the aiming point.

Barry.

Latest posts

Back