Spalted Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaredyCat

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never worked with spalted wood before but I've managed to snag some spalted maple.

Is there anything I need to be aware of in particular when working with spalted woods, particularly maple? I'll be making a box for my dog's ashes so it wont be subjected to much stress/ strain at all.

Firstly, sorry to hear about your dog.

Spalted maple in my experience generally works well. Can be a bit problematic planing, as the hardness is quite variable, so don't go at it too hard. Sands and finishes well. Post pictures of how it goes.

I think turners are the ones to ask about this. I've done a bit with spalted sycamore, and was told that the dust is really dangerous as it still contains spores from the fungus which did the spalting. You might think about wearing a mask throughout the build. My wood was so far gone that I could hardly use a blade on it at all, and had to sand everything.

MikeG.":2lpqej9d said:
I think turners are the ones to ask about this. I've done a bit with spalted sycamore, and was told that the dust is really dangerous as it still contains spores from the fungus which did the spalting. You might think about wearing a mask throughout the build. My wood was so far gone that I could hardly use a blade on it at all, and had to sand everything.
Urban myth Mike.
Dr Sara Robinson is a professor of spalting at Oregan State university.
The video is interesting to anyone wanting to know the basics of spalting but she answers the specific question at 11 minutes
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWedsgkoxYY

Robbo3":3dn2qojk said:
MikeG.":3dn2qojk said:
Urban myth Mike.
Dr Sara Robinson is a professor of spalting at Oregan State university.
The video is interesting to anyone wanting to know the basics of spalting but she answers the specific question at 11 minutes
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWedsgkoxYY

Interesting, thanks.

Back