Spalted Sycamore

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
A new bowl off the new lathe, this is the first item I have done that I liked well enough to post a picture of up on the forum.

All comments welcome.

769Sycbowl_1sm.jpg

878Sycbowl_5sm.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

The finishing was sanding to 400, Chestnut finishing oil, 3 coats (which soaked right in) dried for a day then buffed with the two abrasive compounds and finished with a liberon wax stick and the soft buffing wheel/dome.

What a lovely bowl ,a really great piece of turning and finishing .Well worth waiting for !!! =D> =D>
You picked a beautiful piece of wood and enhanced all the more with your skills .
Well done look forward to many more pictures of your work .

Basically it's all been said by others, very practical form and lets the wood shout its beauty.

Well done in finding a piece of spalted sycamore with such clean and well defined markings, so often that which comes my way has an abundance of dark water stains that overpower the pure spalting.

Thanks Chas, The wood was a couple of logs from a tree we felled last year for my Dad, they were stacked on top of each other in a shed rather than outside, I was a bit surprised that any spalting had happened as I assumed it would need a fair bit of damp, I guess the stacking must have held in the moisture long enough to allow it without overly staining it, a handy way of inducing a better quality of marking if that is how it occurred maybe?

Yes the fungi inducing the spalting seem to be happy enough living on the sugars and natural moisture in the wood without excessive damp.
In fact I have had Beech spalt that was in slabs intended for chopping boards and perfectly clean when stacked and I was convinced it had not been subjected to undue exposure to Spalted wood or conditions.

Thats interesting to know as i have some large-ish blocks of Beech that i have had kept in the shop to keep em clean,so i will have to check em out :wink:

nice work, good selection of timber as well
a slightly smaller foot would give more lift and lightness

Nice shaped bowl. Not bothered about spaltering myself - it's firewood IMHO compared to nice clean wood.

Latest posts

Back