Spalted Maple in the UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristol_Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying 2 pieces of spalted maple for draw fronts and a cabinet door.

Circa 450mm wide x 600mm high

Thickness probably about 25mm rough

I'm thinking of a nice solid slab so that I can cut the draw fronts and keep the grain flowing šŸ˜‰

Does anyone know of a UK seller of this or a similar alternative šŸ¤”

i bought these for a set of coffee tables, from Yandlesā€¦
30AA6DF9-55BA-47C6-8EEA-4AE467CACE09.jpeg

I can measure it tomorrow :) but from memory about Ā£70 / Ā£80 for the two - was one long plank they cut for me as I was in a very inappropriate car!

I can measure it tomorrow :) but from memory about Ā£70 / Ā£80 for the two - was one long plank they cut for me as I was in a very inappropriate car!
Have you ever been to Tyler Hardwoods near Swindon, that recommendation looks good - time for a road trip me thinks šŸ¤” šŸ˜‰

I can see the need for a Bristol excursion!
would probably take the rr for maximum load carrying opportunitiesā€¦ (can put 5m pieces on the roof!)

Have you ever been to Tyler Hardwoods near Swindon, that recommendation looks good - time for a road trip me thinks šŸ¤” šŸ˜‰
Give them a ring before turning up at random, they have been doing an appointment system since Covid. It's nearer Hungerford really.

Ollie

@Bristol_Rob
I have measured - they are waney edged, so not identical, so rough measurements:
800mm long
50mm thick
310 - 400mm wide
cost for both pieces was Ā£73
I was there on a day when they had discounts on wood - so I paid a bit less

You might find spalted sycamore or beech is easier and cheaper to buy here, given they grow natively and wont have additional import costs. I got a few nice 2m slabs of spalted sycamore from Scottish Hardwoods a few months back.

@Bristol_Rob
I have measured - they are waney edged, so not identical, so rough measurements:
800mm long
50mm thick
310 - 400mm wide
cost for both pieces was Ā£73
I was there on a day when they had discounts on wood - so I paid a bit less
brilliant, thanks A šŸ‘

You might find spalted sycamore or beech is easier and cheaper to buy here, given they grow natively and wont have additional import costs. I got a few nice 2m slabs of spalted sycamore from Scottish Hardwoods a few months back.
Intriguing, going look at that as I'm not precious about the species, I'm just trying to get a certain look šŸ˜‰

Back