Spalted Beech

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all,
Some of the s/beech I have has pithy parts, anybody know what the best product is to fill/harden these parts, or should I just use the trial and error method? :
Well, horncarvers don't know these clever woody things :(

Slainte...........Jim.

You could try a trick the woodturners use, namely to coat the affected areas with a thinned clear cellulose lacquer before making each cut. the cellulose doesn't penetrate too far, goes off (dries) really quickly and stabilises the surface area (2 or 3 mm max). I know this makes it a slow process, but you are dealing with rotten wood here! One alternative might be to use a polyurethane wood hardener, such as that made by Bondplas-Voss (and called "wood Hardener"). I've used this in building renovation work to stabilise rotted structural timbers and window frames and it really does work, although there is a slight tendency for it to foam (like expanding builders foam only not so bad). What it would do to the texture and colour of spalted beech is anyone's guess.

Regards

Scrit

Scrit":3bzt51mv said:
You could try a trick the woodturners use, namely to coat the affected areas with a thinned clear cellulose lacquer before making each cut. the cellulose doesn't penetrate too far, goes off (dries) really quickly and stabilises the surface area (2 or 3 mm max). I know this makes it a slow process, but you are dealing with rotten wood here! One alternative might be to use a polyurethane wood hardener, such as that made by Bondplas-Voss (and called "wood Hardener"). I've used this in building renovation work to stabilise rotted structural timbers and window frames and it really does work, although there is a slight tendency for it to foam (like expanding builders foam only not so bad). What it would do to the texture and colour of spalted beech is anyone's guess.

Regards

Scrit

Back