Spalted Beech Rolling pin.?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cefn.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Found some lovely Spalted Beech and wondered if it is a suitable wood to make another rolling pin?

Why would you want to roll your food with a fungus ridden rolling pin? I like spalted beech but I wouldn't put it anywhere near food.

Why would you want to roll your food with a fungus ridden rolling pin? I like spalted beech but I wouldn't put it anywhere near food.
Cheers Mike I guessed that might be the case, but whilst looking for ideas online, saw someone had made a pin from Spalted beech and hence the question before I went ahead. (y)

Personally I would not be the least bit concerned if the wood is sound enough and not too far gone and punky.

I have been making and using spalted beech plates, bowls, spatulas and spoons for a few decades now quite happily :)

Pah! I'm so hard I eat fungus for breakfast!
To be fair, the variety is important...
Aidan

Personally I would not be the least bit concerned if the wood is sound enough and not too far gone and punky.

I have been making and using spalted beech plates, bowls, spatulas and spoons for a few decades now quite happily :)
Please can I have your name and address in case i die. Just asking for the wife. 😉

You could however give it a couple of coats of food grade epoxy or another food safe coating?

Ive got a 13" by 5 foot 2" slab of spalted beech, which one day im going to turn into a guitar body or 2.....

The fungi will die once starved of moisture.
Go ahead with it and as mentioned earlier, finish with a food safe product.

Hi all. Found some lovely Spalted Beech and wondered if it is a suitable wood to make another rolling pin?
If you are intereste there are a number of studies and articles on spalted timber by the AAW (American Association of Woodturners) one author is a PhD university scientist who has made it her main interest.

The look of spalted timber is caused by the fungus having consumed (eaten) the sugars in the wood and what is left is in effect the fungus's crust. Provided its still tough enough to turn an you teat with a food safe coating such as Shellac it should make a good pin and look great.

Back