spalted beech form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks

here's a spalted beech form- loosely based on an ovoid/egg shape
6 1/4" wide by 6 3/4" tall

P1140075.jpg

P1140072.jpg

P1140064.jpg

and a burr oak form
3 3/8" wide by 3 3/4" tall
P1140036.jpg

Geo. top class as usual. Is there a dedicated foot on these or is it turned in such a way as to create a shadow to give that impression . Would not favour either,
Love them both.

Thank you for your kind comments

Eugene- they have a flat (well slightly concave) area underneath that they sit on

Paul- i'm fine thank you- hope you and your family are o.k too

Chris-the burr oak one is around an 1/8" to 3/16" and the spalted beech is slightly thicker at around 3/16" to 1/4"

Both of them are great but if I was forced to pick one it would be the beech just for the spalting. Love the shapes and great work to get to that thickness with such a small hole.

Steve

I always love seeing your work George, makes me want to get out to the workshop and get turning myself.

Think it's the combination of forms and interesting timbers that you often come up with that inspires.

Cheers, Paul

Excellent work as usual George. I think that I prefer the oak form, is it still wet? The grain would look great distorted through drying.

A little off topic maybe, but what do you use as your background when taking pics? I need to get something similar.

Cheers
Aled

Thank you

Aled- yes the burr oak is/was still wet when i took that picture
Here is the type of background i use- that one isnt the same colour as mine though, they seem to be out of stock of the one i prefer whcih they call ebony cloud

fantastic pieces as usual
like the spalted one particularly - when normal wood shows through like in pic 1 , like spalting to be a feature rather than the othe way around if you know what I mean.
still Its not a process one can exert that much control over I guess

Back