Spalted beech coasters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I used a small block of spalted beech that I bought at Harrogate a couple of years ago for a couple of quid. It would have been much easier to use a board and slice off to length, but I had to use what was available.

coasters.jpg

Finish is Rubio monocoat "pure". As much as anything it is an exercise to give the finish some abuse- hot cups, cold glasses, spills, stains etc and see how it holds up.

Attachments

• coasters.jpg
    coasters.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 373
true. It is about £30 for the catalysed version, totalling 375ml. Osmo is £16 for the same size, but uses 2 or 3 coats. Probably not 3 x as much product, but certainly a bit more. There is a time saving, not having to denib and put on extra coats, but it isn't going to save most people hours, and as a hobby woodworker, the hourly rate that I charge out is £0!

I justified it because one pot has done the table, the tv stand (which I will post later or tomorrow), the coasters and there is still plenty left. The cost was written off on this two main projects, the remainder is now free!

Back