Spacebarproblem!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
Out of the blue, using windows 8.1 and browsing with chrome this morning, the space bar on my laptop triggers a page down movement when trying to type in search boxes on different pages like ebay, amazon etc.

I thought it might be a chrome issue but as you can see it is doing the same thing in the post title above, I can't insert spaces, the space bar just jumps me down the screen !

Have tried googling for a solution but haven't yet found anything useful.

Anyone had this before ? Don't know if I inadvertently hit an odd key combination or something ?

Cheers, Paul

Seems to be okay in emails, word etc, so maybe is a chrome issue.

It lets me use the space bar here in the text area, but not in the post title, and not in the search boxes on other sites.

Just started happening when I was using the laptop this morning so I guess I may have toggled some weird key combination or something by mistake but can't figure what and it's surprisingly frustrating !!!

Cheers, Paul

In most browsers the space bar will scroll down a page (or up if you hold the shift key at the same time). Having said that, they also usually only do this when you're not trying to type something in a box as is in your case. It sounds like it's happening for you in single line text fields but not in multi-line ones.

No idea why it's happening to you. A reboot may fix it???

That's pretty much the problem Nelson, did try a reboot earlier with no luck, but will try again anyway I think as I don't have any other ideas !

Cheers, Paul

''myspacebarisbrokencanyougivemeanalternative?''

What's a ternative?

No idea how to do that Rod, and would I lose all my favourites/bookmarks if I did ?

Cheers, Paul

I think you should find it under add/remove programmes in Control Panel.
But you will lose your bookmarks etc sadly.

Rod

Hi Paul
Have you tried a system restore to a previous time before the problem started, doing this may delete anything done between the restore date and present time.

Control panel, restore, open system restore.

Marty

Sorted !!! :)

Turns out to be a presumably new extension loaded into google chrome extensions called Smooth Scroll.

Must have sneaked in on an update ?

Disabled that and problem now disappeared.

Might go back and play with the settings on that extension and see if there are any aspects of it worth keeping and which particular part causes this issue, but at the moment I'm just relieved to be able to use the search boxes again ! :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Cheers, Paul

Latest posts

Back