Sourcing wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cisamcgu

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

How does one go about finding wood that isn't pen blanks or bowl blanks ? In the current(?) issue of "Woodturning" (#369) there is a Mushroom money box project that requires a block of cherry 11cm x 11cm x 20cm, and another 4cm x 4cm x 11cm - where would one go about sourcing such blanks ? I cannot find anywhere that would sell such sizes.

Thanks
Andrew

Thank you for your replies,

I have a band saw, I can cut it to size, it just getting hold of it. I have some wood from some tree felling, oak and sycamore, but that is going to take a year or more to dry - I am looking to find where to get some already dried and usable.

Ash would be fine, it is not specifically cherry that I am looking for, but rather finding pieces that are not for either bowls or pens

Thank you for your replies,

I have a band saw, I can cut it to size, it just getting hold of it. I have some wood from some tree felling, oak and sycamore, but that is going to take a year or more to dry - I am looking to find where to get some already dried and usable.

Ash would be fine, it is not specifically cherry that I am looking for, but rather finding pieces that are not for either bowls or pens
I may be in Preston end of the week / next week if you have a car?

Guessing you have tried using a few keywords like air dried, wood turning blanks, milling services into say gumtree or the likes.
Alternatively some local tree surgeons would likely have a number for you.
I stumble across these kinda ads looking in the tools sections.
Wood turning blanks

I have loads of offcuts, including cherry, that I have no use for but cannot bear to throw away. I must have some in the sizes you are looking for - if you can pay the postage you can have them.

Sounds like what you need is a spindle blank. Grain runs parallel to the lathe bed not at 90 degrees like a bowl blank, is that what the design requires?

Most are listed in imperial, 4 inches is a little over 10 cm, so a 4x4 spindle 8 inches long would probably do it, you would need 2, or one that is 16 inches and cut it. For the 4cm one you could Bandsaw it and still have a 2.5 inch blank to use for something else.

4 inch spindles are rare, most go up to 3 inch. I've seen 4 inch in sycamore and Ash. Try stiles and bates or Snainton Woodworking and ask. Plenty of others out there. You may even find 4. 5 or 5 in some woods. Main thing though, search for 4 inch spindle blanks not 11x11 or 10x10, suppliers don't seem to speak metric in their Web adverts.

I don't get the magazine any more, but I think of their designs as sources of ideas rather than definitive plans.

Latest posts

Back