Sourcing wood for the small-scale manufacturer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard6299

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi. I may turn a product idea into a business. Let's say that the product was a fictitious box product, made with 40mm x 40mm x 100mm beechwood for the four corners, beechwood panels of 100mm x 250mm x 10mm for the sides, and beech panels of 250mm x 250mm x 10mm for the base. Also that 500 boxes were to be made every year.

So, the beechwood for the corners would add up to a length of 100mm x 4 x 500 = 200 metres. The firm would need 500 metres beechwood panel for the sides (50 square meters, 10mm thick). And for the base 31.25 square metres of beechwood panel 10mm thick would be needed.

I assume this would amount to a small business. OK, so given what I've said, can anyone recommend an appropriate supplier? By appropriate, I mean a supplier that sort of "fits" with the scale of production. I don't expect anyone would say buy your wood from a shed. :)Thanks. Rich

EDIT: Not sure if local sourcing would enter the picture or not. I'm in West Yorkshire.

There are many things that you need to look into. The thickness of the panels that you are looking at doesn't exist on the shelf, and I don't know how stable it would be if you were to have it produced for you and stored in your workshop.

200m of 40*40 isn't a huge amount of timber, nor really is 500m of 100mm wide. Many cabinet shops would use that in a month.

I would find your nearest hardwood supplier, see whether they can machine and cut to your sizes and take it from there (assuming that you can't machine and cut it yourself).

Is there a market for what you are selling? From standing start to 500 a year may be a stretch.

Hi. I'm not seeking to esablish what is feasible or reasonable. For my purposes, one must just assume 500 boxes were to be sold. To whome would you be seeking to be your supplier? Rich

British hardwoods, Arnold laver (some branches can machine, but Leeds can't ).

Hi. My assuption would be, that if such a firm existed as I described in terms of it's output, that the firm would buy from anyone describing themselves as wholesaler. However, I recognise within myself that such an assumption would amount to an uneducated (in woodworking issues) guess. I wondered if there was anything beyond that, but perhaps there isn't. Yes, I've seen the suppliers mentioned. I just wondered if there was anything more to bring to light, like it seems way too simple to identify suitable suppliers. :) But, seems like yes, it is that simple as coming across the likes of international Timber, James Lathams, Timbmet, etc. Thanks for peoples input. Rich

EDIT: I suppose it would be a fair assumption that finding suppliers on Ebay to service the firm I described in my previous email would be kosher.

Latest posts

Back