Sourcing Vinyl for vacuum bag

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to make my own vacuum setup, but the only site I can find that sells the required is materials is Joe Woodworker. Has anyone found site(s) in the UK where I can buy the bits I require. Just to be clear, I am going to buy a vacuum pump and make the bag, it is the materials for the bag that I am struggling to source.

Thanks

If you're not doing massive amounts, dust extractor bags are fine too, as are the bags paint tins come in from Screwfix etc...

Aidan

I see that the site sells 50 micron Vacuum bag film - 1.5 mt wide tube, but how do people seal the 2 ends. Do they just make up a tubular seal as on the Joe Woodworker web site ?

The other question is whether the oil based pumps are ok. Anyone have any comments on this ?

Thanks

Has anyone used the vac bag material on the site above. It seems very thin at 50 microns as the normal vac bags are between 200 and 500 microns. Does it work ok on a hi pressure set up ? Can it bee re-used ? It's a very reasonable price.

I've used the 500 and 1500 wide stuff and just sealed with parcel tape, on the 500mm one I use the seal from my bagpress but easily made from minitrunking and a rod. Its quite durable you can get quite a few uses from it as long as you are careful putting work in so the corners don't snag.

IMAG0038.jpg

I've not had any problems with the "cheap" pump I've used, it's not massively quick on the newer/bigger chamber but it's enough for degassing RTV silicone.

Back