Sourcing Hardwood UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Born2bye

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello woodworkers

I am thinking about making 4 cutting boards for the family but I am not sure where to source hardwood, maybe Maple, walnut, Purple Heart, any idea’s please on suppliers in the Midlands area or online in the UK.
Many thanks

Hello woodworkers

I am thinking about making 4 cutting boards for the family but I am not sure where to source hardwood, maybe Maple, walnut, Purple Heart, any idea’s please on suppliers in the Midlands area or online in the UK.
Many thanks
Davies Timber at Wythall (SW Brum) stock loads of hardwoods

I'm in Telford - AK Williams will order it in for you.

Last purchase I made from him was about 8 months ago, admittedly at the height of the silly prices. A plank of maple (approx 11"x2.5"x8') and one of walnut (around 9"x2"x7) came in at about £160. 6 months before that the same order was (iirc) about £100.

(Obviously he'll sell smaller quantities)

Whitmore's Timber Co. at Claybrook Magna about 6 km east of Hinckley along the A5 has a good stock of all manner of hardwoods - - - well they did when I last visited in summer 2020 :)

I'd like to take up woodworking. looked into the Axminster Craft range. it looks like about £3000 would set me up, but reading the your posts. The sourcing and the price of hardwood is putting me off!

I'd like to take up woodworking. looked into the Axminster Craft range. it looks like about £3000 would set me up, but reading the your posts. The sourcing and the price of hardwood is putting me off!
Hi Alalro, I wouldn’t start using expensive wood to be honest. Start honing your skills by making something with cheap softwood, even pallets. As you progress, in time, you can invest more. Also, maybe don’t buy tonnes of expensive gear at the start either. Instead, buy stuff as and when your projects require it. Try using hand tools rather than power, it’s cheaper and a great opportunity to hone your skills.

Kind Regards… Rob

Hi Alalro, I wouldn’t start using expensive wood to be honest. Start honing your skills by making something with cheap softwood, even pallets. As you progress, in time, you can invest more. Also, maybe don’t buy tonnes of expensive gear at the start either. Instead, buy stuff as and when your projects require it. Try using hand tools rather than power, it’s cheaper and a great opportunity to hone your skills.
Hi Rob

Happy new year. Thanks for that, your probably right and Ive noticed the Axminster prices have gone up, it would cost me an extra £500 now for what I was looking at (Craft range).

cheers Alan

Hi Rob

Happy new year. Thanks for that, your probably right and Ive noticed the Axminster prices have gone up, it would cost me an extra £500 now for what I was looking at (Craft range).

cheers Alan
Happy New year Alan. Yes, everything has gone up in price gloabally recently but the usual annual increases add to it. Rob

This is £120 of hardwood purchased recently…
CEB474DD-177D-4E9D-A987-6F6C480B5052.jpeg

and there’s more items not in picture.

Yes, I have lots of kit, but I’ve been at this a while now.

All of these could be made with £30 of secondhand tools and a bunch of effort. A lot easier with £200 of cheap tools and very little effort with some machines.

Back