Source of switch for old 'FERM' router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkieguy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have an old (2002!) Ferm FBF-8E 850W router which I've used in a range of jigs for light duty projects such as making little comb-joined boxes for my vintage radio test gear projects, making slotted replica backs for vintage radios that I restore, and for making pen boxes for pens that I turn. The jigs I've made have all been to suit the footprint of this particular budget DIY router, of which I've expected little. However, the slide switch on the router has failed, though when temporarily by-passed to test it, the router still works fine. I don't doubt the the switch was a bought-in component at the time, not unique to this make or model. (Screwfix used to sell Ferm power tools). I emailed Ferm in Holland and they responded very quickly saying they'd see if they could help. Not surprisingly, a second email said they regretted that they couldn't. The switch is a double pole single throw slide switch. rated at 4 Amps and has to be of a specific size. I've trawled the net searching for 'rocker switch, slide switch etc. Lots of offering - all too large physically.

As will be seen from examples of items I've made using this router and my home-made jigs, it's is well up to the light duty tasks that I expect of it.

Just thought I'd ask if I'm looking in the wrong places or if - as I suspect - such a switch is now 'unobtanium'. I do have other routers, but none with the same footprint, so would have to make new jigs, which I'd rather avoid. Neither do I want to chuck away a router than in other respects, works fine. One possibility would be to internally wire the router directly to the mains cable, block off the switch aperture and fit an adequately rated in-line switch in the cable close to the router. Not ideal, but functional. Something like this, which is rated at 6A and has integral cable restraints, which some don't have. Can't find a UK suppler though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inline-C...485291?hash=item592330ba2b:g:GhYAAOSwxeVenczc
Any thoughts or ideas as to where I might source a DPST slide or rocker switch that would fit the router, or even a UK source of an adequately rated in-line switch would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

David.

Attachments

• Front view (Switch removed).jpg
    Front view (Switch removed).jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 49
  • SWITCH OVERALL DIMENSIONS.jpg
    SWITCH OVERALL DIMENSIONS.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Backs labelled and painted V2 edited_edited-1.jpg
    Backs labelled and painted V2 edited_edited-1.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Angled View.jpg
    Angled View.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Elm & Walnut box open.jpg
    Elm & Walnut box open.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 27
You might try Solent Tools in Southampton. They carry a wide range of spares for a lot of lower priced brands. and are always happy to help. They've got me out of a few scrapes over the years.

Pete

If all else fails it may be worth trying to repair the switch. Typically wood dust will have got inside, despite there being no apparent way for this to happen. A clean and quick reface of the contacts with wet and dry paper may all be what is necessary. If you do pop it apart, there will be a spring that does the fast switching as you slowly move the silder. It is a flip flop type mechanism and the spring can shoot out and get lost.

I had one of those but a bearing failed so I ditched it. However, there are many routers from the same stable to the same design so look for something similar that is still available and see if the switch for that one is suitable and available as a spare.
Nigel

Thanks for reading the thread and for the helpful comments, suggestions and links, which I'll follow up. Meanwhile, to finish a little job, I've removed and bypassed the switch and blanked off the hole. This cheap and cheerful router have been a faithful companion for close on 20 years, so I think it deserves a reprieve if at all possible!

as you've already bypassed the switch, maybe just use a switched extension cord, at least until you can source the right switch
1604611062064.png

I think these machines were all clones of the Dewalt 1/4” router. Some better than others. My first router was similar, a Power Devil and I, too, needed a spare switch a few years ago and Alba PLC (the then parent company) had a spares dept here in UK.

I’ve been trying to track down who owns them now and i think it’s the parent of Sainsbury’s (who also own Argos and Homebase). I still can’t find a number for you though.

That said, a superb source for switches and the like is RS Components.

Good luck!

Have you tried CPC.Farnell.com?
If you can’t find the right sized switch, you could fit a smaller one and get someone to 3D print an adapter.
Failing that as others have suggested it might be possible to dismantle the switch and repair it.
Also keep your eyes peeled on auction sites and FB Market place for a secondhand unit. - There’s one on a popular auction site at the moment for £40 which is probably overpriced but might be worth keeping an eye on to see if it is relisted for less.

Last edited:
Thanks for the further comments. I did see a more powerful Ferm router with a better and more accurate depth adjustment on ebay 20 miles from me, new in box, never used, £40 'buy it now'. I didn't haggle over the prices - I collected it and paid for it in person. It was still unassembled with all the bits and pieces in the original plastic bag. The 'footprint' is a bit larger than my poorly one, so I'll still investigate finding a suitably sized switch so I can retain the jigs I used with that one. Most of the switches from CPC/Farnell and RS are too deep or two wide. The nearest option being a circular rocker switch, but I'll take another look at the firms suggested. It's not keeping me awake at night, and I do have a De-Walt (625K?) router for other tasks.

If I was in the market for a DIY router, as a hobbyist, I'd probably consider one of these. (2KW, with 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" collets):

Clarke Contractor CR4 Router (230V) - Machine Mart - Machine Mart

Hi. Are you still after a switch for this router? I recently bought a used example and unfortunately it runs rough so I won't be using it. I could remove the switch or if you want the whole router you would have a few other spares. I have removed the handles already. It is yours for £10 plus postage.

Thanks for reading this thread and for your helpful response.

If it's the same model (Ferm FBF-8E 850W), I'd really appreciate it if you could remove the switch for me.

More than happy to pay for it and for postage (PayPal 'friends and family is fine, or a cheque if preferred). I did buy another little-used Ferm router on eBay, thinking that the footprint was the same as my old one, but in fact it wasn't. In total I now have four routers, but the old one with the defective switch fits several purpose-made jigs I've made for a range of routing tasks, so when using it in the jigs, I bypassed the switch and presently switch it on and off at the 13A socket, which is a bit inconvenient. A replacement switch would solve that problem.

Maybe you could drop me a personal message to progress matters if that's OK?

Kind regards,

David.

I thought I'd add a little update to say how helpful Colin (Col3501) has been. We exchanged messages, and yesterday the switch arrived (as good as new), which has enabled me to restore my (long since obsolete) Ferm router to full working order for use with several jigs I made to suit the router's footprint. Just a little act of kindness from a fellow forum member which brightened my day, so I didn't want it to pass unremarked..

David.

Back