Source of sheets of ultra fine sandpaper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a continuation of a thread on finishing a 1 metre long burr elm plank.

This plank is off the very edge of an elm bole and is extremely wainy edged. In sanding it I have found that the half sheet sander is possibly the best tool as it has a large surface area to bridge over bark areas to 'islands' of exposed burr. I would like to sand this a way beyond the 240 grit I have - Wood Monkey in the previous thread talked of using up to 800 grit on an orbital sander to achieve a natural sheen in the wood - but I haven't been able to find sheets of 400/600/800 grit papers. Can anyone help please.

Rob

I would have thought that Halfords would have stocked emery /wet n' dry but not glass paper - but hey it's always worth a try. I did think of emery paper but it contains iron particles and should never be used on wood.

Rob

Many thanks H.C. - a step in the right direction and if I can't get sheets or roll that will do. The half sheet sander I have is the clamp variety and isn't velcro compliant, and takes 115mm wide roll, or half a sheet ! At least any off cuts will be big enough to be used on the round stuff I usually do.

Thanks
Rob

Axminster do good quality sheets of wet+dry - I use theirs for scary sharp.

I've also bought coarser grades from Toolstation (I see they now go to 1200 grit), but the difference in quality is evident - the Toolstation sheets are not as smooth, and I've had a few with gritty lumps on the front! Their packs are pretty cheap though.

E.

Eric The Viking":akp7u64r said:
Axminster do good quality sheets of wet+dry - I use theirs for scary sharp.

I've also bought coarser grades from Toolstation (I see they now go to 1200 grit), but the difference in quality is evident - the Toolstation sheets are not as smooth, and I've had a few with gritty lumps on the front! Their packs are pretty cheap though.

E.

Hi Eric - I've been warned off emery paper because of it's iron content and my understanding is that wet 'n dry is the same thing. Now it may well be that someone will come along and say that's a load of rubbish, but if there is any suggestion of doubt then I'll go with that for the moment.

Thanks for the heads up on Toolstation; I'll look at that and heed your warning which might be overcome by a 5 minute run on the back or something just to take the lumps out.

Rob

OK I'll throw in the 'rubbish' response for you Rob.

I've never had any wet and dry with iron in it. It would show rust quite quickly

It is usually silicon carbide abrasive and works well with wood. The other option might be to use the 'pan scourer' type abrasive pads designed for wood & metal.

Bob

silicon carbide is what halfords sheets are covered with. i presume you dont use wire wool to polish anything then either so i wont suggest that
all the best
rob

Back