Source of hornbeam in Scotland?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalimna

Established Member
Reaction score
Deanston, a stones throw from the Distillery
Greetings folks,
I popped along to our local sawmill today to purchase some hornbeam and sycamore I had seen couple of weeks ago, but couldnt fit in the car at the time due to small child in small child seat. And it seems someone from London way has purchase the whole bally lot of hornbeam.
Does anyone know of a source of Scottish hornbeam? The reason it needs to be Scottish is that I am planning an electric guitar based entirely around Scottish wood.

Many thanks,
Adam

P.S. And if you happen to be the London purchaser - Boo Hiss! :)

Well, the usual suspects up near Aberdeen MIGHT be worth a try - Colin Cooper (Aberdeenshire hardwoods 01771622433) or Dave Piercey (Piercey Sawmills - can't remember number off the top of my head). Colin does mostly turning stuff, but might have something big enough. Dave does only native timber, but to be honest, I've never seen hornbeam timber up here.
The other thought is the Bullwood project (bullwoodproject.org) in Glasgow who were at a woodworking show a couple of years ago. From what I remember, they convert any commercially unviable/reclaimed local timber as training for unemployed/rehab clients. As they are urban based, it's possible that they might get hornbeam as street trees?

Back