Source of highly figured maple.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulrbarnard

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I’m looking for a source of highly figured, flame or birds eye, maple. Making a box for my wife for Christmas and I’m looking for a stunning piece fit the lid. It’s only a desk tidy size so looking for something like 300mm x 200mm x 25mm but expect to by a whole board so I can restock my pretty bits. I’ve got plenty of maple but nothing stand out left.
Anyone recommend a supplier? Most searches throw up guitar supplies but the all tend to be a bit narrower than I need and I’d prefer not to join it, though a book match might look nice.

If its for a box lid have you considered a veneered ply or mdf panel glues in all round. Lots more options on veneer suppliers

How about contacting the luthier suppliers and asking if larger bits of birdseye are available? Failing that, there are magazines that advertise timber suppliers for exotic pieces ( used for guitars, pool cues and all sorts )

How about contacting the luthier suppliers and asking if larger bits of birdseye are available? Failing that, there are magazines that advertise timber suppliers for exotic pieces ( used for guitars, pool cues and all sorts )
I came to that conclusion earlier and sent them an email. I’ve not heard back yet. Failing that they do have a very good looking flame sycamore in stock.

If Johnyb doesn't pan out have you looked at Surrey timbers? They have some of their stock online but lots that aren't, it might be worth a call. If you ever happen to be passing its well worth a visit they have some really amazing boards.

If Johnyb doesn't pan out have you looked at Surrey timbers? They have some of their stock online but lots that aren't, it might be worth a call. If you ever happen to be passing its well worth a visit they have some really amazing boards.
I’ll take a look as backup. Unfortunately searching on the internet doesn’t throw up a lot of results. Pointers like this are great. Thank you.

here's my stuff

Attachments

• 20211001_182959.jpg
    20211001_182959.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 45
Are you sure you want to work with birdseye?.. I second the veneer solution for a box lid.
Tough material. I've had a couple boards that I worked recently to prep 4 mandolin bodies and I won't miss it when I've used up all the blanks.
Flame maple is a bit better, but still can be tough to work.
Luthier suppliers will most certainly sort you out, but the price might be steep. (David Dyke had both flame & birdseye I think)

Are you sure you want to work with birdseye?.. I second the veneer solution for a box lid.
Tough material. I've had a couple boards that I worked recently to prep 4 mandolin bodies and I won't miss it when I've used up all the blanks.
Flame maple is a bit better, but still can be tough to work.
Luthier suppliers will most certainly sort you out, but the price might be steep. (David Dyke had both flame & birdseye I think)
It’s for an eye catching accent on the box. I’ve dealt with Birdseye before and have managed to plane it to a mirror surface. I have a number of planes and scrapers I’ve made myself which work surprisingly well with difficult grain. I didn’t have to resort to sand paper on my previously pieces. Johnny indicated these might be a bit punky but I can work with that. I’ve gone for all four pieces and only need one lid so I have contingency.
I’m looking forward to the challenge 😀

Latest posts

Back