Source for knife hinges?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Anyone know where I can buy knife hinges? Added problem is I need them chrome plated (or at the very least nickel).

Chrome on brass for a bathroom?

And why not? Chrome fits with the rest of the design. Chrome on anything that won't rust....

Sorry Brian, it wasn't a criticism at all. The point I mean't to make was that chrome on brass is the best, whereas chrome on zinc or steel won't last in high humidity.

Sorry, my post was rubbish! :)

cheers

Ike

At the risk of sticking my neck way, way ,way out:-

I would have thought that knife hinges in brass were pretty easy to make with limited skills/machinery.

A bit of brass strip for the hinge plates, a bit of rod for the hinge pin (turn a small neck on this this in an electric drill by scraping with an old chisel). Suitable holes, peen the ends of the pin into a countersunk hole et voila.

If you are going that far, shy not go all they way and use stainless steel!

Jason

When are you taking orders, Chris?
biggrin.gif

Hi All
Ordered 2 pairs of pivot hinges from Woodfit. Turned up two days later-Nice!
Have a look...
woodfit%20hinges.jpg

Quality is, well, not bad. Better than B+Q but nowhere as good as the Brusso ones. Not too bad for the price though.
(only had one pair turn up instead of two-they are sending them out asap.. :roll: )
As Chris said, might be worth a go making some up-there really is nothing to them. Maybe next year!
Merry Xmas
Philly :ho2

Thanks for the pointers to Brusso. Bit pricey though! I thought of woodfit, but the shape is wrong - I needed the offset pivot. Thanks to all, but I went for non-mortise hinges in bright nickel finish. They blended nicely and you can't see them oln the cupboard doors...

BTW, the bathroom is now finished. it's small - 2m by 1.8m, so was a challenge to fit. Only took me 6 weeks, including replacing rotten floors, replastering after the old plaster fell off when I removed the tiles, heading off to the US for a week or so, and being away on business during the week every week. I guess 12 days work from start to finish isn't too bad? Now, can I figure out how to point to a picture?

bathroom.jpg

Back