Source for Blockboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manny

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a merchant selling 25mm blockboard in south London, any recommendations?

Thanks

John

Sorry didn't mean to post twice

I'm so out of touch with whats what these days, could someone enlighten this grasshopper - what is "Oriented Strand Board" and what's it good for.

To be honest I haven't bought any quality sheet material for years and from what I've read from previous posts baltic birch would be ok for the carcase of a painted bookcase - is this the case?

John

I'm in Warlingham and they don't charge anything for delivery but I try to order at least 5 boards at a time, but I have suggested them to others who only wanted one board. You will have to pay the loose sheet rate which obviously covers the delivery & admin costs.

Oriented strand board / OSD / Sterlin Board is made up of flakes of timber pressed into a board, the surface is quite rough so it is only used for things like roof decks, sheathing under timber siding etc, definatly not paint quality.

Birch ply is a bit pricy but will give a good finish with a bit of work, you could also try MDF which give s a better paint finish and does not need to have the cut edges lipped.

Jason

Thanks Jason

I'm not a great fan of mdf and I know the client won't go for it but thanks for the suggestion.

John

John,

The last time I was in a 'TimberCenter' they had blockboard on offer - it was a few months ago and I didn't see the price but I think they are nationwide now so maybe there is one near you.

Jason - on another tack - Birch Ply - are you able to get hold of better than B/B? If so can you let me know your supplier please - I basically want to leave it clear finished in some cabinets and I'm not sure B/B is good enough.

Cheers

Tim

My usual supplier (see link above) only lists BB but give them a call, they can get other qualities in if they are available. I have always found them very helpful.

Jason

Back