Sound proofing dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chobbs

Reaction score
Hey all,

I’m looking at possibly getting a Record Power DX1000 for my garage shop but as were in a new build estate, where people are climbing over each other, noise is an issue. I’ve seen people make sound proof boxes with baffled ventilation for their wet/dry vacs just wandered if it was possible with this one?

I'd imagine it would restrict the airflow, reducing the effectiveness of your extractor.
I too am on a new build estate and worry about the noise in from my uninsulated garage, but my wife says she hears barely anything indoors. Before going through all that effort, is it really needed?.....

I'd imagine it would restrict the airflow, reducing the effectiveness of your extractor.
I too am on a new build estate and worry about the noise in from my uninsulated garage, but my wife says she hears barely anything indoors. Before going through all that effort, is it really needed?.....

What do you use for dust extraction?
I liked the idea of the DX1000 due to the 0.5 micron filters. I do wear a mask but only when sanding/sawing but know the particles stick about for a while.

You will end up spending serious amounts of money to achieve a meaningful noise reduction.

It's not that it's complex or needs special products, but that you just need to put the maximum amount of mass and space between the noisy and quiet sides.

The various suppliers of most of the materials have very comprehensive guides on design and installation, each recommending only solutions they're confident will work:

How to soundproof walls.

One way to soundproof a ventilation duct.

An alternative way to soundproof a ventilation duct.

I use the charnwood DC50. Yeah it's noisy.
I also considered venting it outside to almost eliminate any dust thrown back into the garage

you should be able to make an MDF box that does a pretty good job, ideally a couple of layers of MDF sandwiched together, the key is no gaps anywhere around the edges and keeping it airtight and sealing any gaps with acoustic caulking, whilst keeping airflow good, the downside is they often look ugly as hell but it should work, you could use MLV (mass loaded vinyl) in between the layers of MDF but it's VERY expensive, and might end up costing more than the actual extractor :)

Thanks for the all responses. I think I’ll do the box and see how it functions. I have a space under my mitre station ready for it.

Hopefully I’ll still get a card from the neighbours this Christmas!

Is the DX1000 louder than the tools connected to it?

I don’t have it yet and they don’t provide a decibel reading in the specifications so I’m not too sure but most of my tools I think are quiet enough (bar the planer) and having heard that the vac is really loud I don’t want to be that inconsiderate neighbour.

I only use the planer during business hours and the other tools in the evening/weekends. I don’t won’t there to be a constant drone from my garage if I can help it.

Last edited:
Back