SOSS hinge use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
The next cabinet in the offing has reached the planning stage, doors are going to be inset, yet one door has to open to be clear of the inside of the cabinet, so the drop-down front of the consumer unit doesn't foul the door. Clearly ordinary butt hinges are off, kitchen cabinet hinges would do it but I'm not going there.

The only hinge I know of that would do it is a SOSS type hinge, mortising it into the side of the frame and the end of the door panel so when the door is 90 degrees open the hinge is fully extended over 180 degrees and when the door is closed, the hinge is at the 90 degree positon. Has anyone used them like this and with what result?

thanks

Aidan

For an inset door hung on soss hinges I think the door would need to swing 180d to clear the opening fully, I can't see how you can achieve this with the door only swinging 90d?

What about pivot hinges top and bottom of the door, thaty will throw the pivot point away from the carcase so the door is clear when open.

Also you don't have the hinge knuckles in the way like you would with a Soss

hi1238.jpg

J

EDIT a standard butt hinge will throw the door clear of the carcase no need for anything fancy

Back