SOS kitchen fit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
I got one of those calls a couple of weeks back. "We've been let down and need our kitchen fitting asap - as in before Christmas". I knew I had limited time, but agreed to go and see the job. Only a small kitchen, and i've just got it finished. Neptune kitchen units, integrated fridge & dishwasher, induction hob.

Made a start late Thursday afternoon, and just got it finished.

2011-12-24171715.jpg

2011-12-24171538.jpg

2011-12-24171552.jpg

Some of the units had to be set breakfront style to gain the fitting room as it was a bit of a squeeze. And they had managed to lose the fittings to mount the dishwasher door, so i'm going back to fit it once they've got the parts from Bosch.

Customer was pleased they have something to cook their Christmas dinner in. So pleased that they've asked me to make them a new dining table (to go in the big open space in the first shot) and some other work. Happy days.

Cheers

Karl

No Skills - thanks.

Chris - yes, the white unit on the wall to the left of the hob.

Nice on Karl, are the tops just oiled or laquered ?

Ive fitted loads of wood tops and it always seems to be a mad rush at the end of the kitcen. I normally whack a couple or even just one coat on all around after sanding then put another quick one on after fitting. They always look fine but I saw some the other day that were oiled , sanded, oiled and sanded over and over and came out really glossy like they were laquered. I just remembered were I saw them its a Festool video demo-ing their new oil pads.

Chris

Chris - the 'tops are oiled. My normal worktop treatment is sand to 180, then light coats of oil, rubbed back with a webrax pad every other coat. Gives a nice sheen. A light coat dries quickly enough to allow multiple coats in a day. A great tip I picked up from when I did some fitting for Brad (Naylor).

Alan - thanks. The "design" was the customers, hence the oddball layout and breakfront units. They weren't really sure where the hob was going until I asked.

Cheers

Karl

Cheers Karl will try that next time I do any. I've got 3 large kitchens to fit in the 3 new houses we are building at the moment but they are having granite. Gonna be a busy start to the new year hopefully , 2 more staircases to fit, 3 kitchens , 3 ground floors to fit hardwood floors to and all the 2nd fixing should keep us busy for a bit :D

Karl, thanks for the advice it came in handy today. I started fitting the first of the 3 kitchens I was talking about above and they have decided to have a Belfast sink with oak top in the utility so I had to oil the top today. Anyway rather than doing a few thick coats as I normally do as per can instructions, I went with your several thin coats idea. It works very well especially in this weather. The oak looks great almost like a lacquer finish.

Chris

Latest posts

Back