Sorry to be leaving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemsby

Established Member
Reaction score
While I welcome and embrace change, after a few days of reading posts on the revised site, trying to cope with the background colours particularly the white I have come to the conclusion that I am unable to view the pages without “visual discomfort” I have therefore reluctantly decided that I will no longer be able to visit the forum.

May I say thank you to all who have answered my posts over the last 4 years and would like to think that I may in small way sometimes have been able to help others.

I wish the forum and its members all the best.

Regards

Hemsby

The background colour is awful, I said this on the other thread, why not put a back ground image in and also change the text to black.

I find is hard to read on a wide screen monitor, although on my phone and tablet the site is great improvement on the old one.

Come on Mods listen to your members.

Sorry to see you go Hemsby.

@ Tomatwark

Mods can't DO anything - it's down the the sites owner Charley - he's calling the shots on how the site looks, seemingly for a forum he almost never visits. I didn't even know who he was until it was pointed out to me.

Seems like a bit of an over reaction. Whilst i can appreciate fully that some people are having a more trouble than others, especially with the colours, it has only been two days, so its not like the owner has had much chance to do anything yet.

It ain't going to change, so live with it or go. We use it and don't pay for it so it's not ours to alter.
I prefer the old site myself but can cope with this one.

If you want to follow RogerS and his many complaining posts, he is on a different place 2

Bill

I'm finding it difficult to read the changed layout and colour but hopefully I'll get used to it.

John

rafezetter":3ol9jqrj said:
@ Tomatwark

Mods can't DO anything - it's down the the sites owner Charley - he's calling the shots on how the site looks, seemingly for a forum he almost never visits. I didn't even know who he was until it was pointed out to me.

Well he lists himself as a Moderator.

After 4 years of having this forum as my home page I too am reluctantly leaving because of the new layout being unusable

Dunno if you are all using old browsers that don't display this correctly or what but it's perfectly fine here.

The font colour of body text is black here (expect when composing and the topic review posts at the bottom are grey)

The only complaint I have - and it is very minor - is that there is too much wasted space - especially in the left and right margins. This could be reclaimed to make the body div wider and result in more visible text per screen.
I note that on different zoom sizes this changes - sometimes to even wider, sometimes to acceptably narrow.

Not sure that it's bad enough to walk off in a sulk though....

Example of wasted space due to MASSIVE margins..

Screenshot from 2018-02-03 15-05-12.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-02-03 15-05-12.jpg
    Screenshot from 2018-02-03 15-05-12.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,294
Note to site admins - in the .container style for all breakpoints, changing the width from the absolute values to 100% makes things lovely.

Note to users - if you use firefox you can add an override to this style in your userContent.css file -

@-moz-document domain(ukworkshop.co.uk) {
div.container { width: 100% !important; }
}

The couple of snappy replies to Hemsby are rather unfair. He is finding the colour scheme actively painful to use, and I can see why because I'm finding it uncomfortable (though manageable) myself, so much so that I have to limit the time I spend here to rest my eyes.

I can't imagine the site owner wants to drive users away, and I'm sure he likes the colour scheme. But some of us are not just disagreeing with the choice of colour but pointing out that the overall effect has unfortunate physical consequences for some users. Then he can choose what to do - if we keep quiet he won't understand why numbers are dropping (if they do).

I suspect it's the luminosity of the bright blue buttons in combination with the rather luminous pale blue background, and that if these were dialled down a couple of notches all would be fine. Certainly easy enough to try out.

I'm finding the new format fine, bit of a shock when I first saw it but settled in now.
If people are struggling you may be able to make adjustments via your computer, which might help. Mine's an oldish Mac and I just went into the accessibility section of Preferences and saw some options - greyscale gets rid of colour (though you'll also lose that in photos), and increasing contrast makes the words stand out more clearly. There may be other things but I haven't tried any further. Just a thought in case it helps at all.

Hemsby":2v3ulfom said:
While I welcome and embrace change, after a few days of reading posts on the revised site, trying to cope with the background colours particularly the white I have come to the conclusion that I am unable to view the pages without “visual discomfort” I have therefore reluctantly decided that I will no longer be able to visit the forum.

May I say thank you to all who have answered my posts over the last 4 years and would like to think that I may in small way sometimes have been able to help others.

I wish the forum and its members all the best.

Regards

Hemsby

You've been using the forum for 4 years but can't wait just a few days for us to try and sort out the problems you're experiencing? I've been working pretty much none stop, trying to tweak the site since the new look went live. We have been listening and are working as quickly as we can to work on the issues and feedback. Thanks for your support...

The colour scheme is fine on my phone and tablet, as there is not the massive amount of duck egg blue around the edge.
On my pc it is really hard on the eyes though.

profchris":3vnugktf said:
The couple of snappy replies to Hemsby are rather unfair. He is finding the colour scheme actively painful to use, and I can see why because I'm finding it uncomfortable (though manageable) myself, so much so that I have to limit the time I spend here to rest my eyes.

I can't imagine the site owner wants to drive users away, and I'm sure he likes the colour scheme. But some of us are not just disagreeing with the choice of colour but pointing out that the overall effect has unfortunate physical consequences for some users. Then he can choose what to do - if we keep quiet he won't understand why numbers are dropping (if they do).

I suspect it's the luminosity of the bright blue buttons in combination with the rather luminous pale blue background, and that if these were dialled down a couple of notches all would be fine. Certainly easy enough to try out.

A number of fora allow you to apply your own colour "skin", so that the colours you see are entirely within your control. It wouldn't answer the problem of the small area of the screen given over to forum content, but would possibly help with the colour/ contrast issue.

Back