Sorry, another wood ID thread.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the ash ideas. To be clear when I said 'old' brown furniture it probably was no older than 1980s. (Side note: the chairs had machine made embroidered back panels :sick: so it deserved breaking up). No idea whether age has a bearing on species of timber I couldn't say...

Thanks for the ash ideas. To be clear when I said 'old' brown furniture it probably was no older than 1980s. (Side note: the chairs had machine made embroidered back panels :sick: so it deserved breaking up). No idea whether age has a bearing on species of timber I couldn't say...

LOL... embroidered panels...:sick: indeed

Some timbers darken considerably over time with exposure to air, but I don't know about ash

Sounds like you've got some interesting grain patterns going on. Maybe scraping with a cabinet (or card) scraper would help in the tough areas.
As to the colour, I'm a bit of a purist here and I don't like the idea of artificially colouring wood much; if wood has a light colour, then enjoy it, if the wood has a dark colour then enjoy that! However, other opinions are available ;)

Many thanks all for your insight.

Having read up a little on meranti I'd guess it was that based on how easy it is to work.

Back