Sorry, another wood ID thread.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickDReed

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm terrible at identifying the species of woods.

My brother removed a door frame from a job he had the other week. Anyone care to offer an educated (as opposed to my stab in the dark of mahogany) insight into what this could be?

Thanks in advance

Nick
IMG_20210710_112048.jpg
IMG_20210710_112033.jpg

Could be out of the genus Shorea. There are about seventy species within the genus sold as meranti with additional descriptors, e.g., dark red, etc. Meranti is also sometimes described as Philippine mahogany, although the genus and species are not related to any of the true mahoganies. That's my stab in the dark for what it's worth - not much, possibly, ha, ha. Slainte.

Looks quite like a piece of African Mahogany, but that's also only a guess. (Khaya species)

@Austin the grain does look a bit like Ramin, but I've never seen Ramin that dark. Can Ramin be dark brown?

I reckon it looks like meranti also, but I've never split the stuff.
Can't make out if that is a fleck on what's presumably a quartersawn edge, or if I'm looking at torn interlocked grain.
If there's a fleck like beech has, little square ones, then I might have guessed sipo/utile.

Tom

Not any I've seen when planed, but I don't have all that much of it.
I seem to be irritant to the stuff, more so than iroko, but just a guess,
as I wasn't playing by the rules when hand planing the stuff, so
it could 've just been the iroko.
Haven't worked with any since, nor has it graced a skip with it's presence.

Ribbon striping yes, but not what I call a fleck, which I'd have to get, as I can't seem to find much online.
Saying this about reclaimed though, even with all the variety of
iroko I have, (main stock) I learned you can't be sure of anything.
Thought I had an example of the most extreme of my timbers characteristics, but I hadn't seen near the worst of what some folk have seen, like minerals.
Still trying to find a better example for someone to compare.

So would like to be schooled if someone happens to have some pictures handy of the fleck which I possibly wrongly associate only with sipo/utile.(of the species that is this colour)

Must take a picture of the stuff, as I think its fantastic, even a small amount would be great for bandings and whatnot.
I only have a stick of it, my planing stop, so it won't be a fancy piccy.

Meranti can look real nice too, someone on the Auzzie forum made a lovely bench from the stuff recently.
sam_1997-jpg.61870

Last edited:
Not any I've seen when planed, but I don't have all that much of it.
I seem to be irritant to the stuff, more so than iroko, but just a guess,
as I wasn't playing by the rules when hand planing the stuff, so
it could 've just been the iroko.
Haven't worked with any since, nor has it graced a skip with it's presence.

Ribbon striping yes, but not what I call a fleck, which I'd have to get, as I can't seem to find much online.
Saying this about reclaimed though, even with all the variety of
iroko I have, (main stock) I learned you can't be sure of anything.
Thought I had an example of the most extreme of my timbers characteristics, but I hadn't seen near the worst of what some folk have seen, like minerals.
Still trying to find a better example for someone to compare.

So would like to be schooled if someone happens to have some pictures handy of the fleck which I possibly wrongly associate only with sipo/utile.(of the species that is this colour)

Must take a picture of the stuff, as I think its fantastic, even a small amount would be great for bandings and whatnot.
I only have a stick of it, my planing stop, so it won't be a fancy piccy.

Meranti can look real nice too, someone on the Auzzie forum made a lovely bench from the stuff recently.
sam_1997-jpg.61870
This looks a lot like my 'wood pile', reclaimed from old conservatories etc.

Never apologies for a wood ID post.........we all love them:)

here we go then...

This is wood from a bunch of old brown furniture, cut and planed up. Ignore the brown grooves, that's the remains of the old pattern. It's very hard, and when the grain is straight it planes silky smooth. Being fine grained though, it's hard to see for sure which direction is which, and if I get it wrong it tears really badly.

End grain is very fine. It turns well to a fine finish. Too yellow for beech. Any ideas?

thanks
Gavin

Attachments

• IMG_20210713_144832741.jpg
    IMG_20210713_144832741.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20210713_144720210.jpg
    IMG_20210713_144720210.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20210713_144656304.jpg
    IMG_20210713_144656304.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 38